Nex-5r. - Customizing buttons

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Knosaj, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Knosaj

Knosaj New to TalkEmount

Sep 3, 2013
    Hello everyone. I just purchased a 5r is weekend and have been searching through it to become familiar with its operation. I am glad to have found this forum.

I did update the firmware to 1.2

I would like to be able to control a few key functions in a simple fast way and nit have to dig into menus.

I find it handy to have, AEL, flash controls, exposure selection and focus selection. On an old Sony 5mp that I had years ago it was easy to reach in just one click through custom buttons. I miss that old camera. Took wonderful photos.

Anyway, I was able to customize the lower soft key from smartphone transfer to AEL. But I would like to be able to add one more, maybe on the upper soft key.

I have the AEL on the custom soft key, and everything else is in the FN button except the flash modes. Can I replace say the artistic option in the FN menu with flash, or is there a way to use the second soft key?

Thanks in advance!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum and the NEX. :)

The upper button is dedicated to the menu (at least on the 5N) so you can't assign that one. But the other buttons should be open to assignment, either directly or via the function button/control dial. Someone with a 5R will chime in with a definitive answer I'm sure.

3. Knosaj

Knosaj New to TalkEmount

Sep 3, 2013
    thanks jim

under custom key settings all i have are "soft key B setting" and the "select application" so, i used the B button for the AEL toggle. I expected to see options for soft A too.

if anyone knows where i can squeeze in quick access to the flash options, I would be a happy camper....Especially if there is a way to place it into the FN button group.

4. pshojo

pshojo TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    I'm trying to figure out what the AEL button does and what I can do with it.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    AEL button locks the exposure so you can ensure the subject is properly exposed, usually at the expense of a radically under/over exposed background. Mostly used with the spot meter, but useful with the center-weighted option as well.

One example is a sunset/sunrise. You meter above the horizon, lock the exposure, recompose the shot and trip the shutter. You end up with a properly exposed horizon and sky and a very dark (maybe all the way to a black silhouette) foreground.

You can do the same thing with exposure compensation or manual exposure. Some just find the AEL an easier solution. :)