NEX-5N users: how do you change ISO?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lecturedoodle, Dec 15, 2011.

1. lecturedoodle

lecturedoodle New to TalkEmount

Nov 14, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about switching from m43 to NEX (I have a GH2 which is my first interchangeable lens camera), so I tried out the NEX-5N at a SonyStyle store last week a few minutes before the store closed for the night. How do you change the ISO, for example from 100 to 200? On my GH2, I just push the "ISO" button. :p

If there's another thread that talks about this already, please feel free to link me to it. (c:

I really like the size and usability of the GH2 + m43 lenses, but really REALLY want the image quality that comes from an APS-C camera, without the size and bulk of a typical Canikon DSLR kit.

Thanks!

2. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    I assigned the ISO function to the "Right" button of the wheel on the back of the camera.

If you don't do that, you have to go to the Brightness and Color menu.

3. lecturedoodle

lecturedoodle New to TalkEmount

Nov 14, 2011
  4. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    +1...
    I've done the same...

5. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    If I could suggest what I do . . .

I bought the NEX-5n because I wanted a larger sensor and the ability to shoot RAW. so I put the RAW on the right button, and used the bottom soft key for ISO. This way when I see a scene worthy of a keeping, I take a RAW shot and change it back to JPG.

then I moved the ISO to the bottom soft key, but the problem is when you put on a manual focus alternative lens the function changes to MF, so I also put ISO on one of the 5 custom features (Middle button key along with HDR, MF etc)

bob

6. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    How do you assign RAW to the right button? I didn't see that (or Image Quality setting) in the list of choices (on a NEX-C3).

7. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    on my 5n I assigned Quality which gives options for; Fine, Raw + jpeg, RAW etc
    I'm not sure how the C3 works, perhaps you need to update the firmware

bob