• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

NEX 5n thoughts

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Just some observations from going C3 to 5n.

I REALLY like the 5n. I liked the C3 a lot but there is no doubt I like the 5n more. For one the shutter delay is almost non existent. I found a SONY EVF at a very reasonable price and picked it up and it has made a big difference. I have never felt the NEX was particularly problematic going LCD only but the addition of the LCD is pretty cool. I threw on my Hex 24 and started snapping away and I have to say that is as close to shooting with my old OM2 as I have ever come with a digital camera.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
Congratulations my friend, : DI love my nex5n but lately I've been using less after the arrival of the nex7 and his great viewfinder, but if luck stumbles me and I find a viewfinder at a reasonable price I would have to seder and do a sacrifice.: O

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Something that I have noticed is that I find the EVF darker than the LCD. I am assuming that I can adjust how it looks like you can on other cameras but I have been to lazy ot look for how to do that. Also, it seems that focus peaking is a bit less obvious on the EVF than the LCD. Finally, I was really susrpised at how small the EVF is. IN photos I had assumed it would much larger (like VF2 on Olympus m43 size) but it really does not add significantly to the camera's size.

In an unrelated note, I got a chance to play with an Olympus E-M5. AF is not a big want for me so while I was very impressed with the fast AF I didn't find myself going oooh ahhh too much. I found the ergonomics a bit odd (then again so are the ergos on the 5n). I thought that the stock grip was not all that comfortable but like any camera you'd get used to it. Very nice camera and I think the 5 axis IBIS looks pretty cool but I didn't feel the need to run out an buy one. Was glad to get the 5n back in hand. I can appreciate it for what it is and since selling off the last of my m43 gear I had been entertaining the idea of maybe picking up a used E-M5 body sometime in the early 2013...I don't think the E-M5 is my cup of tea.

Joshua Cairns

TalkEmount Regular
I got a chance to play with an Olympus E-M5. AF is not a big want for me so while I was very impressed with the fast AF I didn't find myself going oooh ahhh too much. I found the ergonomics a bit odd (then again so are the ergos on the 5n). I thought that the stock grip was not all that comfortable but like any camera you'd get used to it. Very nice camera and I think the 5 axis IBIS looks pretty cool but I didn't feel the need to run out an buy one. Was glad to get the 5n back in hand. I can appreciate it for what it is and since selling off the last of my m43 gear I had been entertaining the idea of maybe picking up a used E-M5 body sometime in the early 2013...I don't think the E-M5 is my cup of tea.

I couldn't agree more. I was TORN for months between the NEX-5N and the E-M5 and after trying out the E-M5 in store, I was underwhelmed substantially (from doing research online, I thought I would like the camera a lot). The ergonomics felt awful, and the camera's layout was confusing. Not saying that the camera is bad, but it definitely wasn't for me and was far from what I expected.

Joshua Cairns

TalkEmount Regular
I couldn't agree more.

For months I was torn between the NEX-5N and the E-M5. After doing tons of research I thought I would really like the E-M5, and then upon trying it out at a store I absolutely hated it. The ergonomics are awful, and the layout of the camera system is horribly confusing. That is of course only my opinion, and I know there is a huge following of the camera, but to me at least it was far from what I had expected.

Latest threads

Top Bottom