1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX 5n thoughts

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Oct 13, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Just some observations from going C3 to 5n.

I REALLY like the 5n. I liked the C3 a lot but there is no doubt I like the 5n more. For one the shutter delay is almost non existent. I found a SONY EVF at a very reasonable price and picked it up and it has made a big difference. I have never felt the NEX was particularly problematic going LCD only but the addition of the LCD is pretty cool. I threw on my Hex 24 and started snapping away and I have to say that is as close to shooting with my old OM2 as I have ever come with a digital camera.

2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Congratulations my friend, : DI love my nex5n but lately I've been using less after the arrival of the nex7 and his great viewfinder, but if luck stumbles me and I find a viewfinder at a reasonable price I would have to seder and do a sacrifice.: O

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Good to hear Kevin! :)

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Something that I have noticed is that I find the EVF darker than the LCD. I am assuming that I can adjust how it looks like you can on other cameras but I have been to lazy ot look for how to do that. Also, it seems that focus peaking is a bit less obvious on the EVF than the LCD. Finally, I was really susrpised at how small the EVF is. IN photos I had assumed it would much larger (like VF2 on Olympus m43 size) but it really does not add significantly to the camera's size.

In an unrelated note, I got a chance to play with an Olympus E-M5. AF is not a big want for me so while I was very impressed with the fast AF I didn't find myself going oooh ahhh too much. I found the ergonomics a bit odd (then again so are the ergos on the 5n). I thought that the stock grip was not all that comfortable but like any camera you'd get used to it. Very nice camera and I think the 5 axis IBIS looks pretty cool but I didn't feel the need to run out an buy one. Was glad to get the 5n back in hand. I can appreciate it for what it is and since selling off the last of my m43 gear I had been entertaining the idea of maybe picking up a used E-M5 body sometime in the early 2013...I don't think the E-M5 is my cup of tea.

5. Joshua Cairns

Joshua Cairns TalkEmount Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I couldn't agree more. I was TORN for months between the NEX-5N and the E-M5 and after trying out the E-M5 in store, I was underwhelmed substantially (from doing research online, I thought I would like the camera a lot). The ergonomics felt awful, and the camera's layout was confusing. Not saying that the camera is bad, but it definitely wasn't for me and was far from what I expected.

6. Joshua Cairns

Joshua Cairns TalkEmount Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I couldn't agree more.

For months I was torn between the NEX-5N and the E-M5. After doing tons of research I thought I would really like the E-M5, and then upon trying it out at a store I absolutely hated it. The ergonomics are awful, and the layout of the camera system is horribly confusing. That is of course only my opinion, and I know there is a huge following of the camera, but to me at least it was far from what I had expected.