NEX 5N Studio strobe synch help

Ben Altman

New to TalkEmount
Hi,

So I have my shiny new NEX 5N, first serious digital camera I've owned. Old commercial guy, so usually use large format... So I want to do a simple studio portrait and I tried synching the studio strobes by hanging the magic eye over the accessory flash on the 5N. Used to work fine with a pop-up flash on a 35mm Nikon...

The strobes fire just fine, but the camera is not seeing the strobe light - only the accessory flash. I know this because the image is pretty dark at f/4 and my strobe meter gives me f/22...

I've tried every setting for flash sych and different shutter speeds from 1 sec to 1/160 sec.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ben

Ben Altman

New to TalkEmount
Thanks - I figured it might be some kind of pre-flash but could not find a way to turn it off. Maybe I can find a position for the slave sensor eye where it only gets enough light when the main flash goes.

Ben Altman

New to TalkEmount
Yup, that got it to work... I hung the slave eye below the tripod head and used a black foil baffle in front of the NEX flash. A bit tricky to adjust until it only sees the main flash and not the pre-flash, but it worked to get me out of a jam. Would need a better solution for any serious work, obviously.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom