NEX 5N Studio strobe synch help

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Ben Altman, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Ben Altman

Ben Altman New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2011
    Hi,

So I have my shiny new NEX 5N, first serious digital camera I've owned. Old commercial guy, so usually use large format... So I want to do a simple studio portrait and I tried synching the studio strobes by hanging the magic eye over the accessory flash on the 5N. Used to work fine with a pop-up flash on a 35mm Nikon...

The strobes fire just fine, but the camera is not seeing the strobe light - only the accessory flash. I know this because the image is pretty dark at f/4 and my strobe meter gives me f/22...

I've tried every setting for flash sych and different shutter speeds from 1 sec to 1/160 sec.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ben

2. chaser

chaser New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2011
  3. Ben Altman

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks - I figured it might be some kind of pre-flash but could not find a way to turn it off. Maybe I can find a position for the slave sensor eye where it only gets enough light when the main flash goes.

4. Ben Altman

Sep 27, 2011
    Yup, that got it to work... I hung the slave eye below the tripod head and used a black foil baffle in front of the NEX flash. A bit tricky to adjust until it only sees the main flash and not the pre-flash, but it worked to get me out of a jam. Would need a better solution for any serious work, obviously.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.