1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX 5n or 5T?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jun 20, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I am looking to return to Sony after a brief fling with a Fuji XE1 and 35/1.4. Actually both camera and lens are quite nice (the XF35 is in fact amazing) but my love is shooting adapted lenses and there is simply no comparison between the Sony and Fuji when it comes to support for adapted lenses.

I tried out a loaner a6000 and while it was a ton of fun I don't find myself needing or wanting it. The things it does well (like fast AF) mean nothing to me as I will be using adapted lenses, the 24mp sensor is nice bit I am not convinced it is that much better than my old 5n was and I did some side my side tests with my XE1 and while it was awfully good the XE1 wasn't that far behind in good light and pulled away in low light. Then there was the matter of how the EVF sticks out and partially blocks the LCD and the really twitchy shutter release. Despite it's flaws I loved using the 5n so I looked at the a5000 and a5100 and truth be told neither of them impressed me. They felt plasticky and kinda cheap. So then I thought about grabbing a 5n. In looking around I found a demo 5T at Adorama for about $240. I could buy it with the proceeds of the sale of the XF35 and have change left over. Interestingly 5n's are tough to locate and about $100 more.

I know nothing of the 5r and 5t but I did look at images of the 5t and like the addition of the thumb wheel on top. The video button also looks less likely to be hit (that mas a major pain on the 5n). If I could program the fn button to do focus assist like you can on the a6000 that would be pretty cool (but I suspect not).

So do any of you Sony faithful have some advice for me? Am I correct in assuming the 5t is essentially an updated 5n? Before someone asks the reason I am looking at the 5t vs the 5r is I rather like the idea of WiFi and NFC.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Never handled either but the 5t should be better AFAIK.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I believe the sensor in the 5T is the same as the one in the NEX 6 but practically speaking the images from the 5n and the 6 are indistinguishable from one another so I would expect the same to be true of the 5T. There are some improvements such as faster AF (which I don't need as I won't have any AF lenses) but I do like the top control wheel.

4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've owned most of the NEX models over the years but to me the 7 is the one that I enjoy shooting the most - the main reason being the excellent Tri-Navi controls (and those 24MP for my tripod stuff). Like you I wouldn't miss AF glass too much - I'm still amazed at the high rate of critically sharp keepers I get from the 7 even with moving subjects and lenses like my beloved Contax Gs that are not that easy to focus via adapter. Once that camera is set up properly the handling becomes second nature pretty quickly. There's no way I would have nailed the shot below with the AF system on either the 7 or the X-Pro1 (selecting the focus point first, yadda yadda ...) - you know the story.

DSC08534-cFOSh-B.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    No experience with either the 5N or 5T - only had the 1st gen 5 before my 6 - so can't be of much help I'm afraid but I know for sure that IF I were to buy a Nex for the first time, I definitely would NOT go with one without an EVF...
    I would probably go for an A6000 since it offers SO much and costs so little money in the used market nowadays ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I agree, if you're fist time buyer the a6000 or the NEX 6 makes the most sense. I'm a veteran of shooting with the LCD and in fact I find using an EVF to be much more difficult but I realize I am not typical in that regard.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    When I shoot with a Sony body I can generally shoot faster and get way more in-focus shots with adapted glass than I can with any native lens on the Fuji. The focus peaking works so well I hardly ever have to even magnify to check focus.

8. Nexnut

The Sonys work pretty well but focus peaking on the X-Pro1 works just as well for me, despite the lack of color options (it might work differently than on your X-E1 due to different EVF resolutions). Manual (by-wire) focusing of native Fuji glass is an aquired taste for sure but workable these days. It was MUCH worse before the FW upgrades. As to focus area magnification I'm glad it's there but I'm more glad when I don't really need it, especially with moving subjects. What I miss on the Sony is the MF control of the Fuji via dedicated switch and clickable thumb wheel - no need at all to dive into the %§$!@ menu system. I have both cameras in MF mode most of the time, no matter what lens I use - no need to move AF points all over the place all the time (YUK).

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I cannot tell you how much I wish that ANY Sony body had the clickable thumb wheel that the Fuji (and my old Panasonic). Havig the focus assist mapped to the front fn button on the a6ooo is pretty cool though. It's a step in the right direction (as was the top control wheel on the NEX 6, 5r and 5t). I am able to use the focus peaking on my XE1 but for me it's the lack of a fold down LCD that's the killer. I'm keeping the Fuji when I pick up the NEX. I just want to have the option for more easy to see focus peaking.

10. Nexnut

Understandable. A nice-to-have but I live 100 miles west of the Sahara, nothing beats a good old viewfinder here.
    Me too. However, I often miss the focus aids (and simplicity) of my old SLRs - matte screens, micro-prisms and split images. Nothing got in the way back then, the experience was much more transparent, direct and intuitive. Back then my body did the job, not just the head and all that auto stuff.

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    One very nice thing about an older NEX body is the add on EVF. The fact that it can flip up to a 90 degree view is huge.

I will say that the Sony focus peaking is by far the best I have seen. A good old fashion RF patch is still a bit better for quick focus for me but Sony peaking is a close second.

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
  13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I've had the EVF for the 5n before and it's quite good. Unfortunately I am unable to use EVFs because of some scarring on my retina that causes blurry spots, Because peaking is so weak through the EVF it doesn't help me much. I shot a 5n for 4 years using just the LCD and I really grew to prefer it. BTW, that's a great price for the EVF.

14. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
  15. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Well I had a 5n so I assume it will be the same. FWIW I turned the touch screen off on the 5n and just used the on on-body controls. I never found that I missed it.

16. eno789

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I vaguely remember you liked the touch to magnify feature of the 5N. And I just want to bring to people's attention that 5R/5T has a different touch screen. Personally I'm fond of the touch screen on 5N, very handy for tripod work especially closeup/macro. If you don't care about touchscreen, never mind.

17. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I used the touch to magnify at first but I stopped and turned it off. Good to know that it's different. I'll go back and re-look at the link. When I scanned through it the first time I didn't see where it was that different. I'll check again. Thanks.

18. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Something I did notice was that the 5T has a touch-to-fire-the-shutter function on the touch screen which the 5n never did and THAT is pretty useful.

19. eno789

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Apparently different people like different features. The touch-to-fire-the-shutter function, if it exists on 5N, would be the first thing I turn off.

20. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I agree, the 5R's flip up screen is fantastic. I often flip it up and over the whole camera to use it like a waist level viewfinder. It's a great way to shoot.

The biggest difference between the 5N and 5R is the control dial, very useful. If you set the camera to "S" mode, you can control the shutter speed with that dial and the aperture on an adapted lens. It's good.

Oh and you can set a custom button to do punch in magnification on a 5R. That helps!

I think the sensor is behind the current crop of cameras though, especially in low light. The a6000 is pretty impressive at ISO 3200, the 5R isn't.