NEX 5n newbie with a few questions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by novasteve, Jan 18, 2013.

1. novasteve

novasteve New to TalkEmount

Jan 18, 2013
    Hello all,

I recently purchased the NEX 5n and have a couple questions. I am brand new to photography and hope you will bear with me if I ask some "dumb questions".

My Goal is to take action shots of surfing. I know that I will need a telephoto lens for this. Is it best to find a decent lens, then buy an adapter for that lens? What would be a decent lens for me? I am more than willing to buy used however I am very green so I don't really know what I am looking for. Also I really like night shooting. Any tips or tricks for these shots? Any other general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for replying!!

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    IMHO, the best option for a telephoto lens is the either 55-210mm or the 18-200mm (both E-mount so you don't need adapters) because you can AF with those (although kinda slow compared to DSLRs). If you opt for a legacy adapted telephoto lens then you will most likely lose AF and have only MF...

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hello Novasteve! :)

If you're new to photography I would suggest the same... stick with one of the native AF lenses mentioned and give yourself time to learn the basics. Read books or YouTube tutorials on the basics of photography... learn the lingo and the photographic terms and functions and such. Allow yourself time to learn it, it's a deep field so aim for bite-sized goals. Baby steps will keep frustration at bay. Allow yourself to make mistakes, they are good learning stepping stones.

Night photography and the NEX are a match made in heaven. Usually moderate wide angle or standard lenses are better for this.

Welcome to the forum...