NEX-5N Lightroom Presets

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by Joshua Cairns, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Joshua Cairns

Joshua Cairns TalkEmount Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I was just curious to see if any of you have any presets for handling your NEX files in Lightroom?

Always helpful to see what others have come up with and speed up the PP process a tad.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Sorry, all jpeg here, with a super fast workflow in PS and sometimes a little vignette and border in Snapseed. In-camera Landscape Creative Syle with -1 Contrast for color, and unaltered B&W Creative Style for monochrome. Works like a charm...

color
    dfdf4ed32bca2d7581210a77483fd2c2_268.

B&W
    b1127e7919abda0cd98197431959b7bd_5ce.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

I'm gonna give this ^^ method a try myself ;)

I mostly have the Creativity style set to "Vivid" for most of my shots and "Portrait" for well....... portraits :D (and the occasional B&W)

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Nick, Vivid is too violent and tends to decrease your dynamic range. Portrait gives a pretty artificial and overtone lift to the dark tones. Try the modes above, you should be pleased with them.

5. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I am fairly new to Lightroom , but sometimes use the presets here as a good starting point: Maurizio Piraccini Photography: Sony (and Minolta) color profiles for Adobe Camera Raw and Adobe Lightroom - UPDATED October 20, 2012 One of them is called Sony Nex Great Colours (or something like that) and that is pretty good - just gives a subtle boost.

I also use one called Kodachrome which works well on some photos and is also fairly subtle - cannot remeber where it was from but if you search Google for free Lightroom presets Kodachrome it might come up?

There is no one size fits all preset though and the Nex files are pretty good anyway - I usually just process the pictures I like the most individually with just minor adjustments: eg to vibrance, maybe a bit of noise reduction, perhaps a little sharpening etc and it only takes 30 seconds to a minute for each photo.

I don't take many shots of people, but looking at those photos by nianys the jpegs look good enough to not really bother with Lightroom, at least for good natural looking portraits (unless you want to achieve a certain processed look/style of course but those tend to divide opinion).

6. Joshua Cairns

Joshua Cairns TalkEmount Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks nianys, maybe I'll try your settings out then. Your shots always look fantastic so that could be all that's needed!

Thanks for the suggestion on the presets. Yes, usually I've gone the route of editing each photo individually, but with recent travels and what have you it's begun to take far too long to go through them all and edit. So I'm trying to determine a workflow where I can quickly batch apply some adjustments I tend to enjoy for all my photos, and then only have to further edit the favourites from the batch. Your suggestion will be a good starting point!

7. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I downloaded the pre-sets for the 5N from this site. Haven't found a use for them yet. I think I am just so used to processing images individually. Interesting set nonetheless. Probably something that suits for some occasions. Worth having.

8. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    nianys. Your JPEG's are superb!

I've never been able to make them work in any camera I have owned. Hats off. ;)

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I came up with a user preset I like for certain landscapes. It started as an attempt to match Velvia 50 film colors, but wound up being its own thing.

Other than that, I'm usually fine with the default conversion engine. (FWIW for some reason my NEX handles tungsten much better than my old Canon T2i.)

10. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I agree. For the longest time I was convinced JPEG's were the devil. Probably because my Nikon dSLR made horrible JPEG's. Lately, I've been switching back and I have to say, it does make PP much easier and I don't see any loss in quality at all compared to editing RAW files (as your photos clearly indicate). Because I'm paranoid, I do still shoot in the RAW + JPEG mode though.

11. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Thanks Nianys. Awesome as ever - the gorgeous kid helps i'm sure!

Really loathe to mimic styles, but I am consistently blown away by your portraiture and very keen to get similar results photographing my own wife/daughter/dog. I'd not even noticed the creative style function until you mentioned it. Up to date I have been shooting in either colour jpeg and editing in Silver Efex, or using the HC B&W from 'Picture Effect'. I will play with the creative styles later today.