1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nex-5n ideal settings for indoor interior design photography

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Koen_dr, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Koen_dr

Koen_dr New to TalkEmount

Oct 31, 2013
    Belgium
    Hi Guys,

Pretty new to the interior photography, but we run a design products company ( Anyway Doors and Dress a Way) and we live from nice photography, since people like a pictured product. We have a professional photographer, who is a mastermind at what he does, but since it's quite expensive to send him to a partly unfinished house I would like to be able to take pictures myself so we can use new products faster.

I own a NEX-5n and I use it for outdoor and family photo's, so I have a 18-200mm lens and the 18-55mm kit lens. I purchased the Sigma 19mm and Sony 16mm with wide angle adapter for the new interior shots purposes. I also bought a vanguard tripod with ballhead.

You can see the pictures we use and the kind of result I'm after here: Anyway Doors Flickr

The first pictures from the white walk-in closet are mine too but were taken on IAuto a year ago when I still used the NEX-5 first generation...

I fiddled with the NAX-5n settings, and shot about 50 test pics yesterday on Aperture priority mode with F2.8 to F22... I see that our photographer gets sharp and all in focus pictures op F8, but I only managed to get sharp in focus (the whole scene) at F2.8, so I'm probably doing something wrong. This was my best result from yesterday's testing:

[​IMG][/url] Deuren zonder omlijsting wit met ingebouwde greep by ANYWAY doors, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] Moderne deuren zonder omlijsting op maat by ANYWAY doors, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] Open dressing op maat van DRESS A WAY by ANYWAY doors, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some advice would be really nice...? Maybe I shoot in the wrong mode or something.

So settings for in camera and advice for the recommend setting for this kind of photography... I'm not afraid to use M or any other mode, but I need a starting point so I know what kinds off settings will get me decent result. I use Raw + Jpeg since I have Aperture3 (use it for home) , Lightroom and Photoshop (new but will probably get the hang of it quite fast)

2. Koen_dr

Oct 31, 2013
    Belgium
    Nex-5n ideal settings for indoor interior design photography (correct thread)

Hi Guys,

Pretty new to the interior photography, but we run a design products company ( Anyway Doors and Dress a Way) and we live from nice photography, since people like a pictured product. We have a professional photographer, who is a mastermind at what he does, but since it's quite expensive to send him to a partly unfinished house I would like to be able to take pictures myself so we can use new products faster.

I own a NEX-5n and I use it for outdoor and family photo's, so I have a 18-200mm lens and the 18-55mm kit lens. I purchased the Sigma 19mm and Sony 16mm with wide angle adapter for the new interior shots purposes. I also bought a vanguard tripod with ballhead.

You can see the pictures we use and the kind of result I'm after here: Anyway Doors Flickr

The first pictures from the white walk-in closet are mine too but were taken on IAuto a year ago when I still used the NEX-5 first generation...

I fiddled with the NAX-5n settings, and shot about 50 test pics yesterday on Aperture priority mode with F2.8 to F22... I see that our photographer gets sharp and all in focus pictures op F8, but I only managed to get sharp in focus (the whole scene) at F2.8, so I'm probably doing something wrong. This was my best result from yesterday's testing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some advice would be really nice...? Maybe I shoot in the wrong mode or something :rolleyes:.

So settings for in camera and advice for the recommend setting for this kind of photography... I'm not afraid to use M or any other mode, but I need a starting point so I know what kinds off settings will get me decent result. I use Raw + Jpeg since I have Aperture3 (use it for home) , Lightroom and Photoshop (new but will probably get the hang of it quite fast)

3. Koen_dr

Oct 31, 2013
    Belgium
    Nex-5n ideal settings for indoor interior design photography (correct thread)

Hi Guys,

I fiddled with the NAX-5n settings, and shot about 50 test pics yesterday on "Aperture priority mode" with F2.8 to F22 because if I understood it correct, I would get sharp pictures on higher numbers, but I didn't apparently... I see that our professional photographer gets sharp and all in focus pictures op F8, but I only managed to get sharp in focus (the whole scene) at F2.8, so I'm probably doing something wrong. This was my best result from yesterday's testing:

NEX-5N with the 16mm Sony lens (without adapter wide angle) = the Sigma will arrive on monday :)

10590335655_4caca441bd.
    Deuren zonder omlijsting wit met ingebouwde greep by ANYWAY doors, on Flickr

10590340826_94acf00d3d.
    Open dressing op maat van DRESS A WAY by ANYWAY doors, on Flickr

Some advice would be really nice...? Maybe I shoot in the wrong mode or something :rolleyes:.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Since you aren't afraid of manual mode I would take a shot where the camera says the exposure is correct (in manual mode) and then adjust the shutter speed to get the look you want from there.

Oh, welcome to the forum. ;)

5. Koen_dr

Oct 31, 2013
    Belgium
    Thanks, did some expetimenting in M mode and it turned out great! Will post pictures off the result tomorrow

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Gotta love it when a plan comes together! :)