NEX-5N firmware to version 1.01 (Windows)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by freddytto, Mar 2, 2012.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    NEX-5N firmware to version 1.01 (Windows)

Friends are saying about this information, update the nex5n
    About this download

Do I need to update ?
    How to update ?

About this download

Updating is simple and with the newest firmware version, you can get even more from your camera.
    • Date released: 01/03/2012
    • Name: Update_NEX5nV101.exe
    • Applicable models: NEX-5N
    • Benefits and improvements: ◦Enhancement of AF response: When subject distance changes enormously.
    ◦Improved stability in certain camera operations:■When setting [Lens Compensation: Distortion] "Auto" and [Picture Effect] "Miniature" at the same time.
    ■When setting [Exposure Compensation], [Intelligent AF] operation improves.

• Applicable Operating System (OS) ◦Windows XP* SP3 / Windows Vista** SP2 / Windows 7 SP1
    ■* 64-bit and Starter editions are not supported.
    ■** Starter edition is not supported.

• Restrictions: only for use with cameras sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.

When will come to U.S.A.???
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
  3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Important Notes

Also good to take note of these guidelines mentioned on the download page before proceeding (for Mac OS - finally!!). Thank you for the link, Bimjo.

Important Notes
    WARNING!!: This utility is only for use with the Sony® NEX-5N camera. Do not install this utility with any other model.
    WARNING!!: This Digital Camera firmware update and any changes incurred by it are permanent. It is not possible to return to a previous firmware version after updating this firmware. By continuing this update process and downloading and updating this firmware, you acknowledge that you are aware and understand that this update cannot be reversed.
    When using an A-mount lens with the LA-EA2 Mount Adaptor (sold separately) and set to use the "AF Micro Adj." function, the current registered value is reset.
    This update process requires the following items for proper updating:
    A computer with:
    CPU: Intel® processor
    Available Hard Disk Space: 200 MB or more
    Installed Memory (RAM): 512 MB or more
    A USB port.
    Mac OS® X version 10.5, 10.6, or 10.7.
    Note: The 64-bit kernel is not supported. When running version 10.7, use the 32-bit kernel startup mode.
    Camera power supply:
    When performing the firmware update, use a fully charged NP-FW50 rechargeable battery pack, or the AC-PW20 AC adapter/charger (sold separately).
    WARNING!!: The camera may not operate properly if the power is interrupted during the update.
    USB cable:
    Use only the USB cable supplied with the camera.
    IMPORTANT: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
    To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs.
    It is highly recommended that you print out these instructions for use as a reference during the installation process.
  4. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
  5. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    someone already proved this update

This utility updates the NEX-5N Camera Firmware to version 1.01 and provides the following benefits:
    Improves the AF response for situations where the distance of the subject changes considerably
    Improves stability when operating the camera using the [Lens Compensation: Distortion] "Auto" and [Picture Effect] "Miniature" settings at the same time
    Improves camera operations when using the [Exposure Compensation] and [Intelligent AF] settings
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I had no issues upgrading (Mac OS X), but I haven't seen any improvement with AF with AF Assist light on. Still sucks. Might work better with the 16mm, but no change with the kit zoom in my tests.

To my mind, the placement of the assist light is the issue- it's too close to the centerline of the lens and is blocked by the lens. Not much Sony could do about it given the size of the body.
  7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Thanks. I updated mine.