1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex 5N and 6 as Travel Buddies in Bali and Bangkok

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Preckie, May 17, 2013.

1. Preckie

Preckie TalkEmount Rookie

May 17, 2013
    Philippines
    Hi, I'm new here. Just wanted to share the nice results I got from both of these cameras (and the attached prime lenses). Coming from several film cameras (usually Yashica GX and Pentax 110) and a point and shoot (Canon G10), this is actually my first time to carry mirrorless cameras on a trip abroad. And... wow, these lightweight anorexic models are MEANT to be carried around.

I was supposed to sell my Nex 5N after upgrading to the Nex 6, but I realized that having two cameras is such a great treat. No more crap-I-missed-the-shot-coz-I-was-changing-my-lens moment. On my recent trip to Bangkok and Bali, I lugged around both of these cameras with the 16-50 E PZ kit lens from the Nex 6, a Rokinon 8mm 2.8 fisheye, a Sigma 30mm 2.8, and a Sony 16mm 2.8. I enjoyed the Sigma and the Rokinon so much that I barely used the 16-50 kit lens. The Sony 16mm ended up lying in one of the caverns of my camera bag. And my other adapted lens, the Nikon 50mm 1.8D, was left at home due to its relatively massive size when attached to the adapter. The other zoom kit lens that came with the Sony Nex 5N was left inside my cabinet, wilting under the Manila heat. I don't know why, but I hate that lens.

Anyway, here are some of my travel photos. (Please excuse the editing, I honestly don't have enough time and skill for that... I just crop, align and correct WB most of the time.)

NEX 6 with 16-50 kit lens

DSC07063-Edit.

DSC06958.

NEX 6 with Sigma 30mm 2.8

DSC06686-2.

DSC05217.

DSC06650.

DSC06563.

DSC06428.

DSC06879.

NEX 5N with Rokinon 8mm 2.8

DSC04992.

DSC05293.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Very nice!

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Excellent set.

4. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Loved them.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow!!! Those are all beautiful :thumbup:
    And the editing looks very pro to me :)

6. Preckie

May 17, 2013
    Philippines
    Oh thank you, I must be doing something right with Lightroom!

7. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Would you mind explaining a little how you go about post processing especially say the last two taken with the Sigma 30mm? I really enjoy seeing how and why people edit. Lovely shots btw, love photos of street food vendors and that fisheye lens looks like a great fun lens.

8. Preckie

May 17, 2013
    Philippines
    1.) For the first one, a picture of a temple in Bangkok, I already had a CPL filter on during the actual photo-taking so the skies popped-out a shade darker. It also helped that there was a huge cloud overhead to block out the harsh light. I placed myself dead center of the temple, a few inches off the floor and waited for the waves of tourists to get out of the way.

After straightening and cropping the sides in Lightroom, I basically just fixed the highlights so it won't be too freakishly white. I also made some of the shadows come out by sliding the shadow slider to the right. This is for the details within the temple above the door. Lastly, I upped the clarity a bit to show the texture of the Italian marble walls of the temple. Basically, that's it! No saturation and WB correction since they were okay from the cam (Vivid, used a gray card). Final output looks like an HDR shot in my mind though.

2.) Street vendor at night. This is Bangkok's Chinatown. R&L Seafood is one of the most famous places to eat there since you literally enjoy your food by the side of a busy intersection. Anyway, for this picture, I corrected the WB, since it was yellowish right out of the camera. Corrected the exposure by eye (since I can't understand the histogram). Corrected the highlights (coming from the light bulb above). And removed noise a bit. That's it!

Lightroom is great for newbies like me, and it's fun to experiment. Having the tools to correct your errors (even a bit) helps. Coming from film photography, this is a MIRACLE. Haha. I am still learning though... I can't manage to master Photoshop!

P.S. You have a great Flickr photo stream. You should teach me how to work on the photos! :D

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A sterling example from a great part of the world.

10. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Really nice pictures :cool:

11. Preckie

May 17, 2013
    Philippines
    Thanks guys! If you want to know more about Bali, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, Beijing and Taiwan, just message me. :D