Nex 5, 3? Leave flash attached all the time or not?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by The Sparrow, Jun 3, 2013.

1. The Sparrow

The Sparrow TalkEmount Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    Myself - Not. No particular reason. Perhaps in winter when I only get about 7 hours of daylight I might need to. I just find the sensitivty is good enough I rarely need a flash, and if I need more light I can always just use lamps etc and correct the white balance after.
  2. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    I went with the Nex F3 because of the ability to have flash and later on a EVF and have both attached at all times, I also like that we can do self potraits. I rarely use it but it's there when my wife and I want one. Also The price of the F3 was much lower since I bought it at a discounted price. The only thing I wish is that I had gotten the Nex in Black instead of silver.
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I had the original 3 and kept the flash on full time. I would rather have it on and not use it, yet have it on when needed. It is pretty slim and low profile. The only reason I would have it off is if I had another accessory more important.

I jumped on the F3 primarily for the built in flash.
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I have a first gen Nex-5 and I too leave the flash on all the time (which without a bouncing method is very bad IMHO - bounce it and you get some pretty good results)

One of the things that bug me with the 5 is the fact that you can't mount an EVF :mad: - On the other hand, I would hate if my camera had the ability to use ONLY ONE accessory at the time (eg. flash or viewfinder) that's why I'd never buy a 5N if I upgraded (and would go for either a 6 or 7)
  5. riveredger

riveredger TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 24, 2013
    I have a 5R and have used the flash once or twice. Like you, I find that shooting higher ISOs is not an issue. I also find it a bit of an annoyance when trying to use manual focus.

Although, I am sure I will start using the flash for fill-flash this summer.
  6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    we are in the same boat, I rarely use the flash, I prefer to use a high ISO, also with the use of LR can be corrected. I bought the HVL-F20M, and I've used only a few times, is still in the bag. So in the nex5R have the EVF.
  7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Flash is necessary when you are shooting people in low light. Even though Nex is good in low light, the shutter speeds are going to be too slow for even slight movement. Flash helps to freeze movement and get much sharper shots. Unfortunately, Sony decided that you can't have both EVF and flash on the same camera unless you buy top of the line 6 or 7. I hope my F3 lasts me long time.