1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-3N LCD Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by rswilsonuk, Apr 17, 2013.

1. rswilsonuk

rswilsonuk New to TalkEmount

Apr 17, 2013
    Hi guys,

First post, so please be gentle! :) I've just picked up a NEX-3N and I am a little disappointed by the quality of the screen. I've been using an old NEX-5 for the past few years, so it's a shame to see the screen get worse.

Just wondered if anyone has ever tried replacing the LCD screen? Given they are the same size (and likely same connector), would it be possible to put a NEX-5(N/R) screen into the NEX-3N? Or would the firmware prevent this from working?

Just thought I'd ask before I open her up!

Cheers

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    No idea if that would work or not. You're probably going to have to ask a repair center to get an answer to that one.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

3. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Google Sony Support Cameras. They might be able to help you.

4. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Definitely search for support first, but I doubt it's possible. Different processor and firmware which I imagine is locked to the resolution of the 3N screen, and the processor may not be able to handle an increase in resolution anyway.

5. jimithing616

jimithing616 New to TalkEmount

Apr 22, 2013
    Trade it in for an NEX-f3... thats what I just did... I bought the 3n when it came out for 499... I hated the smaller size, the lack of acc port, and the screen is just awful!!! so I went to target one day, saw the F3 going for 399, so basically I can get the F3 and the viewfinder (used) now for about the same price as the 3N... and get a better screen, a better grip, and an all around nice feel in the hands I feel.. Check it out, go over to target... after owning both now I can tell you 100% that the NEX-f3 is a much better camera for a serious shooter, the 3N is really only better for people who need a tiny camera and who want a point and shoot feel with the power zoom basically. I use adapted lenses also and the F3 is 10x better for that. Adapted lenses feel just wrong on the 3N while on the F3 with its larger grip it is so so much easier to handle and much more comfortable.... so in short... get the F3... its an upgrade.