Nex 3N - Disappointed

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dt22, May 29, 2013.

1. dt22

dt22 New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2013
    I received my new Nex 3N today from Amazon and so far am feeling pretty disappointed to be honest. I REALLY wanted to be impressed with this inexpensive little camera that would fit in my purse that I sold my canon s100 on eBay in preparation for receiving its replacement.

Now, please understand I am just take snapshots for the most part although I have a basic understanding of aperture ISO shutter speed and how to adjust them each, but when all is said and done, I get ā€¯pretty dag-gone good" photos on Auto or scene mode so that is where I tend to leave it 90 percent of the time.

Several years ago I had a Canon XSI with the kit lens which actually took awesome photos, and more recently a Sony A55 with 18-250 which I also really liked but in the end they were just too big for me to carry around and I have been making do with the s100. I travel internationally for months at a time with only one carry on so space and weight is at a premium.

I had used a Nex last fall and was pretty impressed. I took pictures with my friends NEX at her sons game for her when she couldn't attend and while it was not a DSLR, it was quick enough to get some great shots. It was a 5 (C or F or something) and it seemed so much better than this N3! Only downside was the large lens... This camera seems sluggish in so many ways....... I assumed that since they put the 1650 lens on the Nex 6 that it was going to be an awesome lens but the AF is slow slow slow!

Did I just end up with a dud? Or is this just characteristic of the N3? I am feeling so disappointed right now.... I guess it was too good to be true after all :frown:

I can't get my s100 back and I do not want another BIG camera.... The NEX 3N with the retractable lens was as big as I want to go. But I do want my "snapshots" to look GREAT! I would prefer to stay around the $500-$600 dollar range.... Any thoughts?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    First, welcome to the forum. :)

What type of shots are you not getting adequate results on? What camera settings, what kind of light were you shooting in etc.?

We need details of the situation before we can make educated guesses as to cause. Examples pics would be a great help as well. It may be something simple like turning off the Focus Assist light (do that anyway) or using a higher ISO setting. The devil is in the details. ;)

3. dt22

dt22 New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2013
    Set on auto, sorry, I WANT to be able to leave it on auto and let it decide.... Says 1/30 F5.6 3200. They were inside, and of the pup. Yes, I know........ And he is a white pup to make things even more difficult. Outside it is doing ok, but still much slower achieving focus than my friends NEX was.

Sorry waiting for my new computer to arrive, also from amazon, so have no way of posting any photos. Am posting from my tablet now...... I am just wondering if mine is a dud or is the 3N limited somehow?

I saw the awesome car pics someone recently posted with the N3 so maybe it is simply a case of user error ?

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's all about light. Inside, at 3200 and f/5.6 & 1/30 there isn't very much of it photographically speaking. Your options are use a faster lens, or use the flash. Since you wanted a compact camera you are somewhat limited in what lenses you can use.

You could pick up either a SEL20F28 or the older SEL16F28 pancake lenses though those may be too wide for you. Any other fast lens will be much larger.

As I said earlier, turn off the AF assist light as it's basically worthless. Use the flash or turn on more lights. Get a faster lens.

Hmmm... Anyone know if the PDAF is on automatically, or do you have to turn it on? My 5N doesn't have it so I haven't paid much attention to it.

Basically I think you just need more light. Have you tried it outside yet?

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    From your description (f/5.6) it sounds like you were zoomed in to 50mm with that lens. Shooting at that focal length, indoors, and trying to track a puppy, well... that would tax the capabilities of almost any camera. And 1/30 sec. is not going to capture anything moving. I very much doubt that your S100 would have done any better.

Given the circumstances you were trying to shoot, it's not user error. But perhaps the user is going to have to deviate from the "all auto, all of the time" plan in order to capture images like that. Capturing a stationary car in bright sunlight is a piece of cake in comparison.

6. dt22

dt22 New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2013
    My friend just got back with me, her Nex is a 5R.

Horrible shooting conditions, but even outdoors in good light it seems to be struggling.

OK most of my photos will not be action shots but I would prefer a camera that can do at least as well as the s100 p&s did. So far this one is not.

With the 5R I got some really good pics of fast moving football players, I would say 90% were in focus and I had it in scene mode, sports, this camera was maybe 1 for 10 in focus of the dog running around also in sport mode. Is the 5R that much better of a camera(or the 18-55 lens) or should I try to switch this one out to see if I did just get a bad one? The compact retractable lens is what sold me on this camera.

My friend is on her way over and we are going to switch out lens and see what happens.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Swapping lenses will go a long way toward telling you where the issue lies. Take the same shots with your friends 5R and your lens that you took with your camera/lens. Then with your camera/your friends lens. Compare and decide what you need to do.

It may just be that the NEX isn't going to be what you need it to be.

8. dt22

dt22 New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2013
    Well it seems as though the lens is fine. Its the camera. I put her 18-55 on my body and it was SLOW... couldn't achieve good focus with flash or without. The 16-50 on her camera worked like a charm. So, I guess my option is to go for the Nex 6 or look for another camera. I REALLY love the small footprint of the 3N / 16-50, and I am sure that I would probably like the Nex 6 but would I like it enough to pay almost double what the 3N is going for? My other choice was the RX 100, and perhaps I will try that out before going with the NEX 6. Perhaps it will be a big enough step up from the s100 I had to make me happy...

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

9. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    I would make sure that your camera is set to jpeg for casual pictures. Also make sure you turn off the AF assist. It makes a difference in the AF speed.

Also make sure you are shooting with the lense set to 18mm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TalkNEX mobile app

10. dt22

dt22 New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2013
    I did turn off the AF assist, and that did make a bit of a difference, but if you don't mind me asking why wouldn't it focus quickly while zooming? The other camera was having no problem focusing quickly at any length... I wonder if the camera itself is defective?

I hate returning and exchanging things. I wish there was a camera store nearby I could go see someone about this but all the camera stores seem to be long gone.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Since you like the form factor of the 3N you owe it to yourself to at least try another 3N before you give up on that model altogether. It may just be a problem with your particular camera.

Lemons do happen once in awhile.

12. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    The reason of the slow focus while zooming is because of the aperture. It gets smaller at a higher number therefore less light, less light struggles more to auto focus.

What's your metering set to?

13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Based on what you've said here, my guess is that the RX100 might be a better camera for you. And this is coming from someone who really likes his NEX-6.

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Just out of curiosity what metering mode are you using (spot/center-weighted/matrix)? It can make a difference in exposure that might affect focus speed.

Also, what focus spot are you using?

15. dt22

dt22 New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2013
    The metering is set to multi, I didn't change it so that must have been the default. Should I have it on something else? Focus spot?
    My old BF was really into photography, times like these I actually miss him :)

I just filled out a return for this camera and ordered the rx100 and another N3. Will see if I like the rx100 better or if the body of the NEX is messed up. I ordered overnight so hopefully it will be here tomorrow but its so late it might not get here until Friday. I'll continue to play with this one until the others come in if nothing else will help me learn a bit more.

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well at least you'll know if it's your camera, or the 3N in general. No right answer on metering mode without being there. Play with it and see if it makes a difference.

I am somewhat curious about something though- if you like(d) how your friends 5R works why do you feel you need to step up to the 6 instead of the 5R?

17. dt22

dt22 New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2013
    Well the main reason is the 6 comes with the small 16-50 lens like the N3, her camera comes with the much larger 18-55 lens. If I am going to go with the large lens I would just use my old a55. Remember I am a woman traveling months at a time with only one carry-on, not easy for us girls you know, and when you add a big camera in It really does make a huge difference.

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, I didn't realize you couldn't get the 5R kit with the 16-50.

19. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    Final decision?

20. dt22

dt22 New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2013
    UPS came by but did not stop, I will have to wait until tomorrow......