1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-3N Compared To Lumix GF3

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    Here is my opinion, my Nex 3n has better colors, better image then my OMD EM5, which to me is better then the Lumix GF3..... I'd gladly have a 'shoot off' with the character whom wrote this article.

The Nex 3n easily wins over the Lumix GF3 concerning stills, easily.

2. norazi

norazi New to TalkEmount

Jun 17, 2013
    As a GF3 and Nex-5R owner, here is my input:

The 3N (assuming it has a similar sensor as the rest of the NEX line) is a superior body thanks to the APS-C sensor, however the native lenses available on the panny are much better than on the NEX
    - I actually prefer the images on my panasonic 20mm f1.7 over my sony 35mm f1.8 even though the sony costs more and has image stabilization
    - I have used the panasonic-leica 25mm f1.4 and that is superior to the zeiss 24mm f1.8 at almost half the price!
    - The powerzoom kit lens (42-50?) on the panny also has much better reviews over the one on the NEX

If you use manual lenses, that opens things up on the NEX but I am assuming that a GF3/3N user is looking more for convenience. I think either is a tradeoff but the NEX has more potential while the panasonic will give you proven results today with its mature line of lenses.

3. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Gear wars are so tiresome. Most modern digital cameras are good enough to take fully usable photos. The rest is up to the photographer.

A person that is looking to buy a new camera shouldn't read specs or reviews. The best thing is to look at as many real life sample photos as possible and then pick the camera/lens combo that is the most appealing within the budget.

4. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I had a Lumix GF3, and I have a full range of primes, still do for my OMD. I found the IQ lacking, in fact I will say jpgs on my E-pl1's are better, so the GF3 became one of the few cameras I ever took back for a refund. In my experience, the GF3 even paired with the PL 25mm f/1.4 doesn't have better IQ then the Sony Nex 3n.

5. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, the second hand prices for the GF3 (or the equal GF2) are very attractive. Also, they both produce sharp and clean photos with good exposure and colour balance, which are ideal for processing - if you shoot raw.

The GF3 also has smaller legacy adapters so you get a more compact package if you go that route. It's also a very inexpensive proposition, possibly the cheapest quality camera you can get today.

The only thing I don't like about it is the m4/3 format with x2 crop factor. But some people prefer that too.

6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The words of wisdom.

That said, I just handled E-PL1 and I hated it. It seems to be even more menu driven than Nex, and that menu was designed by someone who's never held a real camera. Control wise, E-PL1 vs Nex is even worse than Nex vs a DSLR. Then, of course, it's an older version. They may have fixed this since.

7. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    I think it always takes time to learn new controls and menus when you cross over between brands. I hated the controls on my NEX-7 to begin with, but now they are second nature. I still feel most at home with my Canon DSLR, though. It's because I've been using Canons the longest.

8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I also crossed from Canon and I adjusted rather quickly, even though I have F3 without dial. I think it's because there's a soft dial in menu, and a multifunction selection wheel on the back, plus custom functions. So Nex system can be set up to function almost like DSLR. The system on E-PL1 was very point and shoot like, no dials, everything had to be done via clicking buttons or going deep in menus.