1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-3 upgrade and questions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davect01, Dec 25, 2012.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So I had a bit of Christmas money and decided to upgrade from my original NEX-3 to the F3. I really like the built in flash as this opens up using the accessory port.

I have a few general questions for anyone in the know.

1- I have an extra, non-Sony battery that works great for my NEX-3. Does the F3 use the same battery?

2- I am going to assume that due to the screen differences, that my pop-up screen cover for my NEX-3 is not going to fit. Is there one available for the F3?
    41tylN77Z%2BL._SL500_AA300_.

3- The FDA-EV1S viewfinder; Who uses one, and what are your thoughts on this?
    D3S_9018-1200.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I can only address #3- For me the EVF is indispensable. While I use the LCD a lot, I use the EVF to fine tune my shots off the tripod. I didn't/don't want to put a hood on the LCD, so the EVF is essential in that regard (sun on the LCD). For hand held shooting, particularly with faster moving stuff and long lenses the EVF is a must for me. Holding the camera far enough away from my face that I can actually see the LCD turns the camera into a wobble monster.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? For me, yes.

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    +1

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    First off...
    Congrats on getting the "F3" (we are a minority group here) :cool:

I think you'll like the Tru-Finder immensely - I've contemplated getting one myself..:)

5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I tried the F3 recently and actually think it's really good. Like a chubby 5n, with flash. If there are no sales on the 5n tomorrow , I'm getting an F3 :)

6. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I am waiting for the postman to bring me my f3 but at this time of year it could be a while

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thanks for the support guys. I was gonna hold out for either the 6 or the 7, but not excited about the cost.

The integrated flash is most attractive to me.

8. JTM_CR

JTM_CR TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    i recommend 100% using a F3. i have one, i really like the build in flash, i use the EVF as well, i got one cheap at key.com like new in 199 USD.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nice score on the EVF. :)

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I wish my 5 would accept a viewfinder :( - one of the main reasons I'm thinking of upgrading to a Nex-6 or 7...

Having tried a friends DSLR, I find that I achieve better composition (and this is just a personal opinion) when looking through the Viewfinder :?

So, even tho I have no personal experience in the FDA-EV1S viewfinder, I'd say its worth it (for me atleast)

11. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I was watching a viewfinder on ebay still had a day to go but only at $16 but the seller pulled it bummer hey.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    bummer

That's a bummer!

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    One of the things I miss from my rangefinder. 95 percent of the time I am just fine with the scree, but it would be nice to have the option.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So mine showed up today!

I can confirm that the snap on cover from my 3 DOES NOT fit.

The aftermarket battery DOES NOT work. Fortunatly the new camera came with one, so now I have two Sony batteries.

I'll have an NEX-3 up for sale soon.

15. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I am not sure if a viewfinder helps me achieve better composition (it's possible it might do though) but the big benefit for me is that it removes all the other distractions. I know it may sound a bit daft but I always feel a bit self conscious when taking photographs in public places when there are lots of other people around and the viewfinder temporarily removes the distractions of other people around me and allows me to concentrate on the photo and settings etc in a way that using the lcd screen does not. Plus it has the obvious benefits over the lcd in bright sunlight in that you can actually see the damn thing. :D

16. JTM_CR

JTM_CR TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    i correct not key.com but KEH.COM :)

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looking into that now that I no longer have the port occupied with my flash. Wish they were not so pricey though.

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    New F3 versus old 3. So far I am loving the new F3. My two gripes are:

1- While the 180 degree pop-up screen on the F3 is nice, (doubt how often I will use it), it does not articulate the other direction as far as the original 3.

2- I can not use my pop-up screen shade. I have a mod in mind, but as it stands no go.

Despite these two gripes, I am loving it. The pop-up flash is so nice and the main reason I upgraded. I was going to go for the 6 later in the year, but the $322.00 deal on Ebay was too good to pass up.

I also noticed they rotated the camera strap brackets. Not a big deal to me, as I don't use them, but when I did on my 3 I appreciated that the camera laid flat with the lens downward. Now it would lay with the lens facing out.

Even though the F3 is bigger, it is still a small camera!

All Cell phone shots
    2012-12-29_03-57-01_1.

2012-12-29_03-57-26_323.

2012-12-29_04-27-36_303.

2012-12-29_04-28-17_157.