nex 3 autofocus

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davidnraines, Aug 29, 2013.

1. davidnraines

davidnraines New to TalkEmount

Aug 29, 2013
    Hey -

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a Sony NEX 3. I think it was one of the first ones they put out.
    I'm using the 18-55mm lens that came with it, and the original firmware (if that makes a difference).

I have a problem with how the Autofocus works. The camera makes a "best guess" about what in the picture it should be focusing on. It will guess again if you release and re-press the shutter button. Sometimes it just won't guess correctly, and i have to hunt around to get it to focus on the actual subject. Is there a way to change how autofocus works, for instance, to have it autofocus on the center of the image?

There has to be some setting that I'm missing, but I can't find it. I see that in the menu under "Camera" there is an option to change the "Autofocus Area", but its disabled on my camera. Would that do what I'm trying to do? I can't imagine that Sony would disable such a simple feature.

Would a firmware upgrade fix this? My current computer (a 64-bit Mac) doesn't seem to be supported, so I'd have to find a Windows computer to try the upgrade.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I copied this from pg. 55 of your manual. Do any of them apply in your case?

When this function is set to other than [Multi], you cannot use the [FaceDetection] function.
    • [Multi] is selected when using the following functions:
    – Movie recording
    – [Intelligent Auto] – [Scene Selection] – [Anti Motion Blur] – [Sweep Panorama] – [Smile Shutter]

If so, select another setting and see if Center or Flexible Spot become available.
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    It also depends on which mode you are in. Some do not allow you to change it, while others do.