• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Nex 16mm f2.8 lens Performance on 5n or7

Robert McGuigan

New to TalkEmount
Hi there,
Has anybody checked out how much the IQ of the 16mm f2.8 lens is improved by the lens correction features on the Nex 5n and 7 ? I have this lens and a Nex 3 and 5 also the wide angle and fish eye attachments. It would be interesting to find out how much they are also improved especially the chromatic aberration.

Thanks
Robert

Amin Sabet

Administrator
There's still some CA, but the edge sharpness and CA seem better on the 5N and C3 than on the 5 and 3. I'm not sure about the 7, but judging from performance of other lenses, I'm guessing the 16 won't perform as well on that.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
I haven't tested 16mm on Sony nex-5 vs 5n, but I have seen improvement on my CV 12mm lens with nex-5n in comparison to nex-5 as I posted here:

https://www.talkemount.com/f12/voigtlander-12mm-f-5-6-aspherical-ultra-wide-heliar-190/

I don't have nex-7 also, but the Fred Miranda alt forum has lots of tests of wide rf lenses and the conclusion:

With the rangefinder lenses on the Nex 7 the best image quality is reached at f/5.6 in the centre, but for the far corners we need f/11 to get the best sharpness here. At f/11 the centre is already visibly softer than at f/5.6. A compromise might be f/8.
The Sony E ZA 24 on the Nex 7 is at f/5.6 best in the centre and improves a little in the corners at f/8. Optimum aperture across the frame is at f/7.1.

With the Nex 5n it is a little different. The rangefinder lenses perform best at f/8 for centre and corners. The Sony E ZA 24 did best at f/5.6 again in centre and corners.

The Nex 7 requires more stopping down to get the best from edges and corners. However it will also start diffracting at f/5.6. The Nex 5n will get a more even performance out of the camera.

Latest posts

Top Bottom