Nex 16-50mm RAW and Aperture 3.4

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mikefrost, Oct 3, 2013.

1. mikefrost

mikefrost New to TalkEmount

Jul 12, 2013
    Hi

Quick question - I've just got hold of the 16-50mm kit lens and have been shooting RAW and using Aperture to manage etc.

Generally pleased, except for some reason the vignetting at 16mm is horrendous - but it doesn't appear on the camera-produced JPEG. I'm assuming that this is something to do with the way Aperture is dealing with the RAW files, and have tried post processing although the results aren't great.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a simple solution (other than just shooting JPEG at 16mm, buying a new lens, or spending ages PP).

Thanks

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Solution: Devignetting. A simple click in Aperture, not more.

Reason: The lens simply vignettes horribly at the wide end, it's not the fault of Aperture. The camera corrects this vignetting automatically in its JPEGs.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No need to spend ages in PP.

Background: The SELP1650 is one of several, modern lenses that are designed to be used with software correction. Without correction, you get the distortion and vignetting that you're seeing. The in-camera software corrects the jpegs, but when shooting raw, which is just a straight data dump from the sensor, your raw development software has to supply the correction, and Aperture doesn't do that.

So, if you want to shoot raw images with the SELP1650, you have two choices: purchase and download the PTLens plug-in for Aperture, which will provide the necessary correction, or switch to some other raw developer (such as Adobe Lightroom) that comes with lens correction profiles built-in.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That may remove the vignetting, Poki, but does it do anything for the substantial distortion present in the uncorrected SELP1650 raw files? I haven't used Aperture for a while, so I don't know if it does.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, it doesn't, and natively, there is no way in Aperture to correct distortion. mikefrost specifically asked about vignetting, so I told him the solution for this problem. The thing with distortion is, it's not actually a problem in many shots, even it it's as extreme as in this lens (somewhere around 3% at 16mm, I think). Thanks for covering the solutions to correct this problem anyway. I just think the resolution decrease and noise increase is a little bit high if you fix this amount of vignetting and distortion, but this is a problem only a new lens could fix.