News about the Touit 2.8/50M!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yesterday, I sent Zeiss a Flickr Mail about when I'm able to get my hands on one of the new Touits. They replies with two very interesting points:

First, it will be available from may. Sad, sad story - originally revealed at Photokina 2012 it has been a LONG wait for me to finally be able to shoot with this bad boy. The reason for the new delay of about a month is something positive, at least.

And that brings me to the second point - turns out Sony released the specification for their PDAF mechanics two days ago to third party lens manufacturers, so PDAF now is not limited to Sony lenses only. Zeiss told me they "decided to include the new fast hyprid AF [...] into the Touit lenses" (quote from Zeiss). This could mean that the AF for the other two Touit lenses might become faster too when using a Sony A6000 or any newer NEX.

X-Mount version will be available from mid april, btw.

Is anyone besides me interested in this lens? What do you think about the lens so far (quite a few samples are available at full size by now) and are you happy that Zeiss includes PDAF support?

• Like Like x 1
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Hopefully we'll see your shots soon then:) I have too many macro lenses from other mounts. Sony will be releasing macro g/fast prime FE lenses this year also, so I am more interested in those more as a fast aperture portrait lens...

I saw that pdaf works w/ Sigma art lenses also. I'll see if it will work w/ older Sigma lenses. I'll update them this weekend.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Already having four excellent legacy macro lenses, I'm not sure how compelled I am going to be to invest in this Touit. Having something compact with AF isn't really a very big deal for the kind of shooting I do with macros. (Having smooth, precise manual focusing action is.)

OTOH, sometimes with the legacy lenses, I notice the macros don't do so well for distant subjects. And none of mine will do 1:1 without an extension. If the Touit does those two things, and has outstanding overall performance and character (sun stars being of particular interest to me) then I might have to get my hands on one eventually.

4. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Interested, yes, but unfortunately out of my budget now. Also the rumors on a 100mm G FE macro makes me want to wait. If I'm getting a macro it's for that purpose, using it as a portrait lens is not that interesting for me so the 100mm would be a more suitable range. I really can't figure out why Zeiss didn't go for a 75mm macro that would add something to the lens line up. Now they are competing with Sony on every single focal length and unfortunately Sony is doing a too good of a job with the 10-18, 35 and 50 for me to justify the extra cost of a Zeiss lens.

5. rossi46

rossi46 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 28, 2014
    x1000000

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I can't agree. A 50mm macro on an APS-C sensor is a much more versatile lens than a 75mm one. That's why they advertise mainly its versatility - portraits, landscapes, macros - really, there's no kind of photography that's not suitable to the Touit, except where you need a faster aperture of course.

As for the other Touits - the 12mm f/2.8 is not only a stop faster, but also of higher optical quality than the Sony 10-18. Also, it's a prime. There are many people who prefer primes to zooms, and it's the only ultra wide angle prime in the E-Mount line-up.

The 32mm Touit is a slightly different story. The Sony 35mm f/1.8 is a good lens and features OSS. But the 32mm Touit is not that expensive either, so it's a very reasonable alternative if you can trade the quieter focusing motor and cheaper price for a better optical quality.

7. newatthisagain

newatthisagain New to TalkEmount

Feb 25, 2014
    I am really considering the 32 mm vs the Sony 35. Does anyone know if the latest firmware improved on the constant focusing and the hunting?

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    More news - Zeiss confirmed that the Touit 2.8/50M will indeed support phase detection AF on Sony cameras. Previously, Touit lenses only supported PDAF in their Fuji X-mount iterations. No word yet on whether the Touit 2.8/12 and 1.8/32 will receive updates to enable PDAF on Sony cameras too.

9. jereswinnen

jereswinnen TalkEmount Regular

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Actually, the recent 1.03 update enabled PDAF on my Touit 1.8/32. Works absolutely great en focus is very quickly. Just to let you guys know :)

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Wait ... the camera firmware update? I thought a lens firmware update would be necessary for PDAF. Anyway, thank you for the info! I didn't notice because the NEX-7 obviously doesn't support PDAF.

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The PDAF grid shows up when I mount my Σ primes now that I updated to 1.03 on my Nex6. Does it mean I am actually getting PDAF - not sure.

12. jereswinnen

jereswinnen TalkEmount Regular

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    I think so, yes.

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    ThePhoBlographer published a review of the Touit. You can find it here: http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...0mm-f2-8-touit-fujifilm-x-mount/#.U2ud7F7dmNE

Notable quotes:

Seems very good so far. Literally can't wait until I get my hands on this thing!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Sounds like a very nice lens for allround photography, I'll probably wait for the FE macro though.

15. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    This has to be the slowest lens release of all time

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
  17. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Impressive results, especially wide open.

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I agree, it's just about as good as in my dreams. :D