• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Newer L Bracket

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I purchased an Arca Compatible Newer L Bracket for my Sony A6500 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and fit of this low priced accessory...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neewer-QR-L...A-t:rk:23:pf:0

I have always equipped my Canon DSLR cameras with Arca Compatible L brackets because they are the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to mounting a camera on a tripod or monopod. I have always used RRS or Kirk L brackets and, since the prices of these brackets are obscene, have always purchased them used on eBay.

However, I couldn't find a used "big name" L bracket on eBay but came across the Newer unit for $12.41 (USD) and decided to take a chance on it and am very glad that I did. The build and fit seems identical to the RRS and Kirk L brackets. All the necessary doors and openings are available to access the Battery and memory card compartment as well as the various connection ports on the side of the camera. The unit itself seems very sturdy and well made. After all - manufacturing a bracket of this type is not exactly brain surgery in its complexity.

There is one additional advantage of this bracket on the A6500. It gives me just a TAD of extra room for my shooting hand to hold the camera. While shooting the A6500 without the L bracket, I really only have room for two fingers of my right hand beneath my index finger to grip the camera. My pinkie finger kind of hangs in limbo.

No great problem but, the Newer L bracket provides approximately a centimeter of extra room to grip my pinkie finger around. That really stabilizes the camera a bit better - especially when shooting one handed in the portrait position. I will sometimes shoot this way when I want to hold the flash high with my left hand. The bracket really doesn't add a great amount of weight to the camera.

Of course, an L bracket is great for what it is supposed to do, provide a secure and quick mount and dismount from tripod or monopod, especially when changing from vertical to horizontal camera positions. BTW: all my tripods and monopods, as well as my flash brackets are equipped with Arca Compatible clamps....

I have not researched this but, guess that there are brackets of this type available for A6000 and A6300 cameras and think that the A6300 model might fit the A6400 which is coming down the Sony road soon...

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
I purchased an Arca Compatible Newer L Bracket for my Sony A6500 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and fit of this low priced accessory...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neewer-QR-L...A-t:rk:23:pf:0...

I also use Arca-Swiss compatible equipment so I've added L-brackets to my a6000 and A7II bodies. I think they are some of the best accessories for the Sony bodies. The convenience, the added comfort for my hand, and some added protection, makes them a welcomed addition. I don't find the size or weight an issue, and they can always be removed to return to the original size. I went with ebay sourced models too, and fit and finish are very good. The CNC and anodizing are well executed.
I even use a generic L-bracket on my large mirror lens in order to mount it on the L-bracket's side to a ball head in portrait config. Makes for a useful poor-man's gimbal head.

Anyone having issues with the ergonomics of the grip, I recommend adding an L-bracket. Worthwhile for that alone.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
I've been using L-brackets on all of my Sony cameras, from the Nex-6, A7, A7ii, A7iii. The Neewer brand has been good with me too :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom