1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by lshoult, Oct 26, 2013.

1. lshoult

lshoult New to TalkEmount

Oct 26, 2013
    Hi,
    I am new to this site and have wanted to get into photography for years. I recently purchased a Sony Nex-3 and have joined an online photography course.

I am already impressed with the quality of pictures the sony can produce and I am still in auto mode! so far I have used the lens it came with and the Sony Macro lens which was ok but for some reason I expected a bit more but then I guess that will come with practice and playing around with other settings.

Until I read some posts on this site I had assumed I could only use Sony E-mount lenses which are a bit expensive. There are so many lenses out there, how do you know which ones to go for and does the adapter depend on the camera make its come from?

I am interested in shooting close ups, wildlife, moving objects, long distance and hopefully one day stars/moon - I think that probably covers all areas!

2. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Welcome, great place here, anything you need just ask. Very few limits with the nex line, legacy lenses are excellent on it, very little outside the reach of a good combo of the two.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome lshoult! The number of lenses that work well with NEX cameras is almost limitless. You may want to browse the Adapted Lenses and Adapted Lenses Sample Image Archives to see which ones may suit your particular shooting style. And yes, the adapters are brand specific, though there are many lenses (Vivitar, Tamron, etc.) that come in various different mounts, so it's advisable to be aware of what you're buying when you're browsing the virtual shelves on ebay. Also, almost all of them are manual focus (and aperture) only. But fire away with any questions the rest of us might be able to answer, and post some pictures!

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome lshoult, your journey has just begun. ;)

6. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Welcome! I'm in the same boat as you really.
    I didn't know anything about adapted lenses until I found my father in law's old Pentax camera. There were two lenses with the camera. I found an adapter (after someone on here telling me all about how to go about this), clicked on the Pentax lens, and fell in love. That was the beginning of the end for me. I got sucked into legacy lenses and now have a scary addiction to scouring Ebay. There's no going back now for me. :)