Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Mheato, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Mheato

Mheato New to TalkEmount

Nov 11, 2015
    Hi All! Love this site, I have been doing a ton of reading and learning. I am the soon to be owner of an A6000 with a kit lens and am pretty new to photography. I really want to take the time to learn the camera and it will set me back a bit anyway but I did want to look at getting another lens to go along with the kit one. Because of the price and the reviews I have been really looking at the Sigma lenses. But I cant decide on the 19mm or 30mm to go along with the kit. I really like doing landscapes or going on photo walks with friends so typically more stationary objects/architecture etc. So assuming that I wont be able to get another lens for a bit other than the first Sigma I buy which would be the better choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    There is a big difference in the focal length of the Sigma lenses. Depends on what you will shot more of and how. The 19mm is a very nice lens - more for landscape, but if you are using a tripod for your landscape shots, the stopped down kit lens will be very close to a stopped down ( lower aperture) 19mm Sigma. If I were you I would use the kit lens for a month or so and then go back and see what focal length an aperture you are using most. You'll also get a feel for when you wished you had a faster (wider aperture) lens. If you are shooting a lot of landscapes at f/8 and also a lot of shots around 30mm at f/5.6 then perhaps the 30mm Sigma might be best. Likewise if you find your self shooting alot of wide shots at f/3.5 than maybe the Sigma 19mm 2.8 - but here you are really only gaining 1/2 stop of light. I think @ 30mm the kit's widest aperture is 5.6.

It seems the biggest difference between the kit and the Sigma would be at the 30mm focal length - but also remember that the kit will have faster Auto focus. Something else to consider.
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    The 30mm Will be kind of a "normal/standard" lens on the A6000 where the 19mm is a wideangle lens. When i bought my A6000 i had a 25 mm that has seen a lot of use on an adapter. My first emount lens besides the kitlens was the 12mm samyang and im considering the 60mm sigma now. Id get something like a wider focallenght or more tele than the 16-50 the kitlens gives you and then "replace" the kitlens with a 24 or 35 later.
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Good thoughts so far.

I might suggest a couple of different courses of action.

1- Buy the A6000 with the kit lens, then buy a lens that is not already covered by the kit lens. There are some longer zooms that you might like and give you more flexibility in shooting longer focal lengths.

2- Similarly, buy the A6000 with the kit lens and buy one of the low light lenses like the 35mm or 50mm F 1.8.

3- Buy the A6000 and skip the kit lens in favor of one, or both of the Sigmas.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mheato

Mheato New to TalkEmount

Nov 11, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! Ive been so excited to get the camera I think I have been putting the cart before the horse a bit and forgot I still have a lot to learn. Going to take the advice of using the kit lens a bit learning about the camera and what I like to shoot and proceed from there, appreciate all your help!
  6. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I'd probably wait until you get the camera and see how the kit lens works for you.

I personally don't have the 16-50 kit lens but from what is out there, it improves drastically as you move away from 16mm so it is probably pretty decent around 19mm. If you are also only going to be typically using the 19mm during the daytime, the faster speed of the 19 2.8 might not be a huge deal as the kit lens will only be a stop slower at f/4. At 30mm, your kit lens is going to be f/5 so you are looking at almost a 2 stop difference vs the Sigma 30mm.

I liked the 30mm personally. It's pretty compact and an improvement in low light. I ended up upgrading to the Sony 35mm. For me, the Sigma 19mm never seemed like enough of an upgrade over the kit lens. Creatively, I think 30mm offers more but if you are more of a wide landscape shooter, 30mm will be too tight. 19mm might be for that matter as well.

When you get your camera, set your kit lens to 19mm and go out and shoot for a few hours. Try the same thing after with 30mm and compare your shots at home and see what focal length you prefer.