Newbie question: pancake lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by PeterS, Sep 2, 2011.

1. PeterS

PeterS New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    Hi everybody,
    I'm a point-n-shoot user and thinking of stepping up buying NEX-5N. I know there's only 18-55 kit for now but probably there will be a bundle with the 16 mm pancake. It is cheaper to buy it in a bundle then separate so my question is (may sound embarassing) - do I really need a wide format pancake lens? I know it is good for landscapes or inside photography. I'm planning to use the camera while travelling and for family pictures. How easy to change lenses? Do you use these lens often?
    Thanks,
    Peter

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I have the NEX-3 with 16mm lens and I have mixed feelings about it. It's MUCH more compact than the 18-55mm lens but the image quality isn't as good as I'd like.

By that, I mean that the NEX-3 has a far superior image sensor than the image sensor in my Olympus E-PL1 but the E-PL1 with Olympus 17mm or Panasonic 20mm pancake lenses delivers sharper, more detailed images than my NEX-3 with the 16mm pancake. When I use legacy lenses like my old Pentax 55mm f/1.8 lens I get better image quality out of the NEX-3 than out of the E-PL1 ... so I know it's just a matter of the 16mm lens not being as sharp as the pancake lenses from Olympus and Panasonic.

That said, the Sony 16mm is dirt cheap ... you won't find a 24mm equivalent f/2.8 lens for the m4/3 mount for $250 or less.

3. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    PeterS; I ordered the twin lens kit partly because I can fit the 16mm on the NEX-5N because it can be stuck in a pocket rather than a bag, which the zoom lens needs, for convenience sake. But I also order the it because the 16mm is a f2.8 whereas the zoom is not as bright. It will keep me going until better lenses are available, and the NEX-5N will need better optics to get the vest out of the camera. I got rid of my Nikon DSLR partly due to it's weight and bulk buy the other deciding factor was this, the kit lens that I had wasn't any better than the Sony kit lenses. If you can afford to get the twin lens kit then I'd say go for it, hopefully my order will be with me soon.

Cheers, Macjim.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It's very easy to change lenses, but I don't personally shoot as wide as 16mm very often. 18-55mm covers my range well, and the only reason I'd use the 16 often is to have a smaller combination. Other people love going that wide and wider, so your mileage may vary.

5. PeterS

PeterS New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    macjim and Amin, thank you for your answers.

6. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Your welcome! :)

Cheers, Macjim.