1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Newbie from France

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by vintagelensesaddict, Mar 18, 2013.

1. vintagelensesaddict

vintagelensesaddict New to TalkEmount

Mar 18, 2013
    South Western France
    Thomas
    Hello folks,

I'm very happy to be part of the community.

I'm based in south western France and interested in old lenses and digital photography.

I'm using mainly a Pentax K30, nice but quite bulky ...

Found a nice sidekick as the Sony Nex C3 ...

Now i'm interested in testing on it some my nice old pieces of glass ...

Have a look on my blog : Vintage lenses addict, a new eye through old glass !!!

Stay tuned !!!

Best regards,
    Thomas

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum Thomas, you'll find yourself in good company as a legacy glass user. :)

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Some interesting lenses there. I am waiting for review of Angenieux PK 35-70mm. Interesting company with some remarkable innovations. Another interesting lens is Pentax Takumar SMC Macro 4 50mm.

5. vintagelensesaddict

Mar 18, 2013
    South Western France
    Thomas
    Thank you guys !!!

I'm going to remove some dust on my shelves and let them taste fresh air ;)

I'm buiding up a review procedure now, any ideas are welcome !!!

Have a nice Day.

PS : xXx1, the Angenieux is a very nice piece of Glass, it opens at 2.5 and gives a very nice "rendu", it can be translated as rendering. Most get focused on Bokeh, but it's also a matter of general impression, sometime explained as 3d effect ... I think i'm going to develop my reviews based upon Rendering / Bokeh / Sharpness / Contrast, maybe color too but it can be so easily adjusted ... Have to think about ...

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    One possibility is to use lens testing chart (I will run all my lenses thru it some day). That way I will know something about the lens.

I think that too technical review isn't very helpful. Something like a few typical images is quite helpful when determining if I need the lens or not.

One big problem with old lenses is that you can get pretty good images with them but images may need post processing. I have a couple such lenses, typically contrast is low etc. that is easy to correct. However I don't want to do that for every day lenses. I have a cheap Vivitar 300mm/5.6 that is completely usable if I boost the contrast. That is ok as I probably will use it just a few times per year.

7. vintagelensesaddict

Mar 18, 2013
    South Western France
    Thomas
    Thank you xXx1,

I think the test chart could be a good starting point, then i'm looking to find typical scenes in the neighborhood, some sculptures for portrait lenses (range 40 to 135), architecture for wide angles (14 to 35), etc. ...

My scope being to reveal the real "rendu" of my lenses. Rendu being understood as a combination of sharpness / Bokeh / contrast.

Best regards,
    Thomas

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    welcome :)

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Here is lots of info about lens testing and guite nice print-your-own lens test chart:
    Camera Lens Testing- Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration and Distortion - Bob Atkins Photography

In practice lenses are much more than sharpness (but sharpness is easy to measure) and there is convenience point of view too. I like Tamron 58 quite much because it is so light. Good enough for everyday shooting and light weight are quite good combination.

10. vintagelensesaddict

Mar 18, 2013
    South Western France
    Thomas
    Very nice website ! Thanks :)

11. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Welcome. If you are into legacy glass, you have definitely come to the right place!
    I don't do it myself at the moment, but most folk around here do. Loads of good information here.