1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Newbie" and new NEX 5R owner

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by The Sparrow, Apr 13, 2013.

1. The Sparrow

The Sparrow TalkEmount Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    Hello all.
    I'm kind of new to the whole digital photography game. About 20 years ago I was quite into phtotgraphy as a hobbie. Back then I had a Nikon EM and a few lenses. I took a lot of black and white as well as colour but was never very "good". Since then, I've owned a couple point and shoot digital cams, most recently a Nikon coolpix, which I've used for family snapshots and the like.
    I got the bug again after my friend upgraded to a Canon T4 recently. After a short search I landed on a Sony NEX 5R. I am completely overwhelmed by how much the scene has changed. The power and flexibility of this camera blows me away. Things that I could have only dreamed of 20 years ago are right at my fingertips.

I think the reason I left photography years ago was that I stagnated. I had no vision. I was just trying to copy what people did in books. I didn't have my own 'voice'. Everything I did was cliche.
    I think I have some ideas now though of what I want to do, so I'm excited to get back in the game. I hope to learn from others but at the same time find my own unique voice.

Oh, and as a side note, I love baroque music and play the clavichord. Check out my youtube channel: The Sparrow's Clavichord - YouTube

2. The Sparrow

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    I suppose I should post at least 1 "beginner" photo, no?

Attached Files:

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Beginner photo? You're fired as a beginner. ;)

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to photography. :)

4. The Sparrow

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    Gawrsh! Thanks. :)

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's like riding a bicycle, Sparrow. You can't "unlearn" it. Only now your old bicycle has morphed into a Ducati. Get out there and ride!

And then show us pix of where you've been.

Oh, and welcome!

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I like that shot Sparrow.

Welcome to the forum.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome. Hope you enjoy your NEX as much as most of us do.

8. The Sparrow

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    Its funny, my brain is still stuck in the "old" ways. I was contemplating a potential night shot a few days ago, and my brain is trying to work out exposures and the various challenges, then I realized, hey, I can just take the shot, and if it doesn't work out, change a few settings and try again, and again and again until I get it right. If you never grew up using film I guess you take things for granted. Digital has changed EVERYTHING.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    good and bad

This is the blessing of digital.

You forgot the sorrow of getting your film back from the developer, looking through 24 or 36 pictures only to realize only 5 or 6 were worth printing.

While I enjoy the instant gratification and checking to see if you got a good shot, I have found that it makes me lazy sometimes. I figure I can adjust and fix the shot later, rather than getting it right to begin with.:rolleyes:

10. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Hello, Sparrow. And congratulations on taking up photography again! And for choosing the NEX!

Digital photography is really nice, but your background in film photography will serve you really well as you advance with your new camera. Knowing how to work the basic settings like aperture, shutter speed and ISO, will help you immensely in taking control over your camera.

The various automatic and creative modes are great to begin with, but pretty soon you will want to have more control over how the images look. Digital cameras on automatic settings tend to infuse images with a certain "sameness" that gets boring after a while.

As you are aware, many NEX users use older manual focus lenses. I feel that this is really the way to go for photographing anything but the usual family functions etc, where point and shoot does the job adequately. Many digital kit lenses are slow and produce rather bland photos. They tend to be sharp but lack in in contrast and colour reproduction. Therefore using legacy lenses with faster apertures and more interesting glass really breathes life into your photos.

The best thing with digital is that you can see and print you photos immediately and control exactly how they look in image editing software. This really speeds up the learning process.

11. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Welcome, you're gonna like it here.

12. The Sparrow

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    Ok, might as well ask my first question.
    I've always had an interest in photographing tiny things, be it insects, textures on leaves etc.
    In the past I've used close-up filters to accomplish this. Is this a reasonable way to go, or would purchasing a macro lense be a better choice? What advantages are there?

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Here's a recent thread regarding macro options ;)
    https://www.talkemount.com/f12/one-more-effective-marco-photos-3017/

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    After reading the thread Nick linked ask yourself this question- "how often will I do this?" If the answer is "occasionally" then close up filters or another method listed will work fine. If the answer is "frequently" then a dedicated macro lens makes more sense, especially if you can get one in a focal length you were going to use for other stuff anyway.

15. The Sparrow

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    I shall check that thread out, thanks :).