• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New Year's resolution

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
While I could say my New Year's resolution this year is I will no longer have GAS we all know that this will never happen ;), so instead I've decided to make my New Year's resolution to avoid pixel peeping and rather concentrate on the composition and emotive qualities of a photo.

What's your New Year's resolution?

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
My photographic New Year's resolution is to spend more time photographing. That will rely on my other resolutions happening, like being more efficient at work :).

jebuskrust

TalkEmount Regular
I will second Amin in this. I will ensure (or at least do my best) in shooting more and make more time for post precessing

Bobcat

TalkEmount Rookie
What's your New Year's resolution?

Mine is 16 megapixels. :) I will try to stick with using the gear I have now and really putting it to good use. I also would do well to spend more time looking at other people's work, and improving my PP. Gotta start saving up for the next Zeiss e-mount, too.

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Wow, I'm finding these New Year's resolutions really insightful. While I havent included these as my personal New Year's resolution, I may adopt these as something I will aspire to this year.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Yeah, to go out and shoot more seems to be the best thing I could do. Looking back at 2011, I just got a handful of (to my taste) "great" pics. Maybe in 2012 I'll need both hands to count them with my fingers?

My personal resolution is to make a 2 week photography trip in the summer through any angle of Austria (can't afford a world trip ;( ) - and it should be a dedicated photography trip, without anything (besides some ice cream ;)) interrupting me.

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Instead of posting another thread I've instead added it here.

I'm currently participating in the Singles in January challenge in talknex' sister site seriouscompacts where the challenge is to take at least 1 photo a day for the whole month of January using just one nominated camera / lens combo (if you havent been to that site yet and are interested in compact cameras including the NEX I would seriously recommend paying it a visit) and from the recent photos I have submitted I have not post processed any of my images.

I wouldn't call it a New Year's resolution as such as I may do it again after 2012, but I have decided that save watermarking the image I will not post process any of my images in 2012. Instead I will take advantage of the NEX's sensor and all of it's various functions, filters and in built capabilities.

I am not in anyway shape or form saying PP is a bad thing, it's NOT, it's particularly good and useful. I however have felt that I have relied on post processing too much lately and felt that if I remove this 'safety net' it will force me to really think of all the variables like my composition, exposure, focus, etc.. before I press the shutter release. I know that I will probably miss a couple of shots but I hope this will help me hone my skills further as a photographer.

Bobcat

TalkEmount Rookie
I am not in anyway shape or form saying PP is a bad thing, it's NOT, it's particularly good and useful. I however have felt that I have relied on post processing too much lately and felt that if I remove this 'safety net' it will force me to really think of all the variables like my composition, exposure, focus, etc.. before I press the shutter release. I know that I will probably miss a couple of shots but I hope this will help me hone my skills further as a photographer.

That is an interesting challenge and I like it! But shoot RAW, too, you never know when you might get the shot of a lifetime and wish you could do the post processing on it! :) I find the more I shoot in low or dramatic lighting conditions, the more I need PP, and the better I like my images. So for me, PP is essential. I don't expect the camera software to be able to match the vision that I have for a particular image.

Latest threads

Top Bottom