• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New Year's Day in Changsha.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I like the one with the woman sweeping (or scraping, or whatever it is that she's doing) on the incline.

Real Name
Colin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the tones, what type of post work do you do?
I find street shooting post-processing quite difficult. With other types of photo I deal with them individually but with street, I'm thinking in sets. I'm still searching for a B&W "look" to settle on. My goal is to have a look that's mine but I'm nowhere near that now.

I started in Aperture and made some basic adjustments to WB etc, then to the PTLens plugin (if necessary) to correct for distortion. Crop and straighten where needed, then noise reduction with NIK Dfine 2. I then decide if I want to use colour or B&W for the set.

I used NIK Silver Efex Pro 2. Increased structure (like a finer tonal contrast) and added a copper tone. I dialled this back quite a bit. I have this as a preset. With individual photos I darkened the borders for some. These were shot late in the afternoon and in the last shot, the sun had gone done so it was much darker than the others. I increased the brightness to somewhat match the others in the set. There were some other individual adjustments. I think I pulled some detail from the shadows of the man walking down the stairs, things like that. These were something new and I like them, but I need to wait awhile to decide if I'll settle on it.

For colour I like a desaturated, kind of harsh look.

NEX-7    ---    50mm    f/1.8    1/40s    ISO 800

NEX-7    ---    39mm    f/4.5    1/160s    ISO 100

I'm still new to all this, so I'm probably heavy-handed but I figure that if I put the time in, I'll get better.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm still searching for a B&W "look" to settle on. My goal is to have a look that's mine but I'm nowhere near that now...
For colour I like a desaturated, kind of harsh look.
Both B&W and desaturated colour PPs are already looking extremely good nonetheless! The de-sat Lady-Trolley pic is amazing... her glazed eyeglasses makes her expression sooo profound! Empty streets with parked cars and her lone figure is almost post-apocalyptic it gives me goosebumps!

Top Bottom