New ( well in a way) manual focus assist in Fuji X cameras that can easily added to sony cameras

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by raay, Jan 28, 2014.

1. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Hello guys , like many people who shoot MF glass the E mount is an excellent platform and with focus peaking and magnified view its quite easy , but sometimes there is a problem the focus peaking only works with good enough contrast AKA needs good light and the magnified view obscures the whole scene and there is also quite a bit shutter lag when shooting with magnified view , Now Fuji has introduced a new type of focus assist ,A digital split image (see video) , though i really dont like the split image but the idea can be used to show the whole scene and magnified portion at same time in the lcd/evf!! my sugesstion is to show the focus peaking on the whole image and to show the magnified view in the smaller box , now the size of the full scene can be smaller than what fuji is using !!! I hope sony sees this feature and copies it onto the E mount line ,that way we get both peaking and magnified focus assist at same time !!! Please leave your thoughts after seeing the video!!Cheers!!
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Heh I just mentioned this in the other thread. It sounds amazing in theory, but I would want to see how it functions in practice too. Small EVFs like the kind in RF bodies might not work so well - it will get all cramped in there. But large ones from DSLR-shaped cameras - now we're on to something! The only thing is how easy it is to toggle and so on.
  3. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    well i dont see a need of digital split image ,better just give me a magnified box along with the whole scene,and there sould be toggle for how big one needs the box!!
  4. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    The other question is how easy is it to move the magnification box? Touch screen is usually the best answer but Fuji don't do touchscreens.
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I agree. I don't think the side-by-side view, nor the B&W, as shown in the video, would work very well for me. The EVF is cramped and cluttered enough already. But having an inset magnified view that can be resized and repositioned at will, well, now we're talking!
  6. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    well i would like to use buttons cause cant use touchscreen on the evf!!
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That would be nice.

There are lots of pretty easy ways to improve Nexes. I would like to have a list for manual lenses from where you could pick the manual lens and put that info to exif. Entering the aperture would be nice too.

I think that Sony isn't listening the users much and experimenting too much.
  8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I heard from some fuji users who use both that sony peaking is still better than split image, but maybe its a point of different use cases.
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I think its a nice idea!!! It should make nailing focus so much easier/quicker- quicker than using MF assist for me anyway...
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Sounds promising
  11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Interesting concept, better suited for tripod work or for static subject than moving objects. If Sony implemented such a thing I'd like the option of using focus peaking or the split image.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    As a manual lens user, I think this is amazing. This is the first camera that has made me seriously think of giving up my NEX 7. Its going to be really hard not to buy this when it is released.

Something to keep in mind that might not be know if you havent been following the release of this camera (which I have) is that the EVF in the XT-1 is bigger then what is in the Canon 1D-S!

It supposedly has a nice, huge EVF with several different modes available. I think its big enough that there is plenty of room in the EVF to have this double split type screen. It really shows that Fuji is listening to users and thinking about how we photographers are using these cameras.

Yep...the more I find out about it the more my NEX 7 is in danger. Pop a Speedbooster on the XT-1 (Minolta this time) and be in heaven.

There is a neat pic on this page showing the relation between the XT-1 sensor and the rest.
  13. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    They really need to put a rollerball on the thumb wheel. That would make for a lot quicker navigation on the screen without a touchscreen.
  14. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Fuji Xt-1 looks good but i dont think there is a need for that many dials!! lets imagine you are shooting with the camera held at eye level and quickly want to change iso , i would rather like a button or front wheel to do it than take the camera down from my eye and turn the iso dial,same with shutter speed!!! though shutter speed one can still be used ,i dont think ther eis any need for iso dial!!! Good thing Fuji did is to add a Pc sync socket!!!
  15. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    If you own an A7 you can actually get a 'sneak peek' of how hard changing the shutter dial will be with eye on VF. Try adjusting your PASM dial with your thumb while peering through the EVF. Awkward right? So well then what's the point with ill-thought-out dials like that? Having it lower and accessible without having to move your hand off the grip is a big deal. I think Fuji users coming from gripless cameras might already be used to it but I would personally hate it.
  16. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    for me this is just cosmetic dial, hardly anyone will use it , this type of iso dial was necessary during the film era where on would load a film of certain speed!! the front dial on the grip of X-t1 can also be assigned to either shutter speed or aperture ( as per dpreview) , positioning a iso dial that too on the left side will be any useful!!
  17. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    When I went mirrorless, Fuji's X-Pro 1 has just been released and the manual focus was "unforgivable" (according to the DPR review). That was an absolute deal-killer for me and the NEX-7 was somewhat of a no-brainer.

Since then, Fuji has done a lot of firmware updates and refinements aimed squarely at enthusiasts just like me (to say nothing of the lens lineup). If I were going to invest heavily in another APS-C system, I would now be very tempted by the Fuji X line.