1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New way of carrying NEX system

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davect01, Dec 8, 2012.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So I typically have carrying using my over the neck strap connected to a loop via a two sided connector.

IMG_4438.JPG

(since pulled tighter, so it moves less)

2012-12-08_12-25-57_412.

I do like this system and have no issues with it, but recently came up with an additional way, utilizing the same connector that attaches to my belt.

2012-12-08_12-25-15_987.

2012-12-08_12-25-28_571.

I like it because it is does not move around a lot and very discrete. This works very well for my smaller prime lenses, but not so much for my larger lenses.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Is this a swivel to release connectoror... ?

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    thanks

Thanks

Not sure what that is.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, I have no idea what a connectoror is either. iPad keyboard strikes again. LOL

Ok, what I meant to ask was- is this a system something like this?

I have the original Cotton Carrier vest and it works very well. To release the camera from the vest you rotate it 90° so the slot and camera connector line up and it slides up out of the slot. When it's just hanging there it won't come out.

I was just curious how the camera is held to your belt and then deployed to shoot.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is a S-Biner Connector. The whole idea is to be discreet and not look like a photographer.

[​IMG]

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, that's certainly simpler/less expensive. 8^)

8. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Use caution. If the camera twists it can and will cause the latch to open letting your camera crash the ground. Ask me how I know :(
    $200+ of damage to my Nikon D300...it was an unpleasant lesson learned.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    sorry

Not discounting your story, just not sure how it can occur,as it is designed exactly not to do that.

You must have been doing some strange actions, as mine has been very secure.

10. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Nope. It was as simple as taking my camera out of the car. I wasn't using an "S" biner like you are, but the clip I was using worked in the same fashion. The camera twists in such a way that the anchor point twists around putting pressure on the latch. Latch comes open, camera falls off. Unless your biner locks, you can't prevent it 100%. My strap was a commercial strap and they had several failures the same as mine before they updated their system to a locking mechanism. Just wanted to give a heads up that it could happen. Heeding my warning is on you. My damage was covered since the system had been found faulty from the manufacturer...yours being homebrewed, won't be.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I do appreciate the warning, but I don't see this happening at all with these connectors. If anything it takes effort to get off.

There is a bit of getting used to as you have a camera on your hip. I have come close to hitting against stuff, but after a couple of hours, I learned to watch my side.