1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New user and some lens talk

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Apr 24, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Hello everyone. Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I started into photography long ago with a Praktica Super TL3 my parents gave me when I was 18 (I still have it). I took thousands of photos with it through the years, and although I never delved deeply into the science of photography until the past few years, I got mostly decent photos, and an occasional great one. Like most, I jumped into digital when it became affordable, and have had a series of point-and-shoots, culminating in a Sony H20. Very good zoom capability + manual settings, but lacking somewhat in low light handling. After several years of reading & learning to wring the most out of my pocket cameras, I decided it was time for a more serious rig. I've done some low end astrophotography with the H20, and that led me to purchase a NEX-5R bundled with the 18-55 and a few other goodies a few weeks ago. I was immediately impressed with the photo quality compared to my previous cameras.

More reading and studying led me to one of the most useful camera settings I've experienced: "Release without lens". I tried the old Jenna f/2.8 from my Praktica, and was pleased with the results. A Cosina-made Vivitar 50/1.8 soon arrived via eBay, followed by 3 Komine-made Vivitars: a 28/2.8 RL Edition Close Focus, a 28/2.8 Wide Angle, and a 135/2.8 telephoto. A 24/2.8 22xx model arrives tomorrow. I know, it's a sickness. My next get (I hope) with be a Vivitar 20/3.8. I love the low light capability of the NEX, and I'm having loads of fun with the legacy lenses. A sample taken with the 28/2.8 Close Focus follows. Enjoy.

Tony

DSC00675_zps4f9030e1.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome.

While not againt AF, having just bought the 30mm Sigma, the ability to mount almost any lens to the NEX is fun and exciting.

3. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Welcome, You will like your camera and this forum.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What claude said... and welcome!

5. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    welcome Tony, I own too the nex5R and it's fascinating this little camera, I've been shooting with it these last days with the Vivitar Wide angle 28mm f/2.8 and the results are incredible, the picture quality is very good, I have acquired also the EVF, for those sunny days, so is almost like the nex7, is a powerful machine.

I hope you can share more pictures and experiences here in the forum, greetings and welcome.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum and the NEX Tony. I (we) look forward to seeing more of your work. :)

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks everyone. Here are a few more. A couple of these were taken late in the evening to test the NEX's ability to capture in low light without a flash. I'm enjoying both the low-light capability of the NEX and the Vivitar lenses.

Tony

DSC00208_zpsc79d19ca.

DSC00254_zps764d4f15.

DSC00826_zps0c379723.

DSC00832_zpsea567f03.

DSC00834_zps8b5f5787.

8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Tony, very nice set. I like your natural style.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Very nice set Tony, thanks for sharing those. :)

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks folks.

Tony