1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New to Talknex

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Larry, May 25, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I am new here to Talknex. I bought a NEX6 with a SEL18200 lens early this year. I have been in and out of photography since high school. I'm 67 now. There is photographer named Gary Friedman coming to town next month offering a 2 day class. I am hoping someone on this forum has taken his class and would like to comment. Thanks for a very informative forum. Larry

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome. Hope to see good things from you.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to both the NEX and the forum. While I've never taken any of his classes, he does write "the book" on the NEX series of camera bodies. I'd guess it would be worthwhile to attend.

4. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I did buy his ebook on the NEX5 and 6. Started to read it but having trouble getting away from Talknex.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I've read his book. It is excellent, really helped me. I guess that his workshop would be useful too especially as he has intimate knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of NEX cameras.

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    welcome and enjoy, hope to see some photographs with nex 6 and 18-200mm.

7. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Thanks to all who responded. Here are some pics I took at my local zoo. I use the 18-200 lens as an everyday lens. Its offers a lot of flexibility in one lens.

Attached Files:

8. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Hi Larry. Thanks for posting!

Have you ever used the dmf choice on focus? It helps a lot especially when shooting zoo pics. It lets you zoom in while auto focusing and manually adjust from there, in effect it lets you focus manually pretty quick so you can get the right item in focus.... As we all know the nex is not the smartest.

9. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Thanks Deadbear77 for the focusing tip. I was aware of the DMF function but haven't actually used it. I appreciate you being gentle about telling me my pictures are out of focus. :)

10. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Welcome, from another Larry ;).

I have Gary Friedman's Nex 5R and 6 ebook also. I would imagine his workshop would be pretty good, based on the popularity of his books. Based on his book, I looked into where he was teaching his workshops also, but unfortunately there are none close to me this year.