1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New to Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Iansky, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Iansky

Iansky TalkEmount Regular

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    I have recently purchased the new Sony A7iii and a "Like new" Sony Zeiss 24-70 f4 lens and this is my first ever Sony ( spent a long time reading reviews, watching videos and talking to Sony shooters that I have met) and my response..........Wow.
    Only 2 weeks of ownership and I am still very much in awe with the performance and IQ of the camera/lens combo.
    I will still keep my Mu4/3 equipment but the Sony will no doubt replace my full frame DSLR for documentary shooting.
    Apologies in advance if I ask a daft question.........
    These are a few of my first photos with the combo - shot a lot more since but want to share them slowly and with consideration.
    ILG00004-2-FrameShop_1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    ILG00007-2-FrameShop.jpg
    ILG00011-2-FrameShop.jpg
    ILG00017-2-FrameShop.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    :Welcome: Ian! This is one of the few places where you won't get ridiculed for owning a Sony 4/24-70 (I'd like to believe 24-170 but no :) ). Looking forward to your documentary work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks Ad, Oops - I have amended the post after my finger problem and added some photos form my first foray out with the combo.

4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Wow, that's some seriously interesting work IMHO. I like the processing too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks Ad, I do like many types of photography and we have just returned from a working day in Islington, London and a few days chilling out in Brighton so I have lots of photos yet to post - loving the results from this camera though.

6. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Welcome, Ian! I think you put the A7III and 24-70 to good use. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpecFoto

SpecFoto TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2018
    So Cal Desert
    Jim
    Welcome Ian, glad to see you here!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Welcome Ian, excellent photos, I also love the 24-70 f4 but for whatever reason a lot of folk don't .

• Like Like x 1
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Off to a great start :) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    :Welcome: Pretty great first post there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thank you all for the welcome and the kind words, I am really enjoying the Sony experience so far and it is a lot smaller than my current documentary portrait machine (Nikon DF + 24-120 f4 G lens) - I do have a used Sony 85mm f1.8 lens on its way that will become my portrait lens so excited to receive this!

I do have a couple of gripes about the Sony system in general and please correct me if I am incorrect:

1. To update camera / lens firmware you have to download a "Driver loader" and use the USB cable via the software to update - much more fiddly than SD card update method.

2. You have to use the USB cable to charge in camera as there is no external charger supplied so this needs to be purchased as an add on (the battery life is amazing and to date has lasted well over a days shooting and you can use a mobile power source but that is also an additional cost) - if I purchase a spare battery it currently can only be charged in camera so a pain.

I have added some more images from my first couple of days of testing to the Gallery.

• Like Like x 1
  12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, a royal pain-in-the-*ss. You obviously use a macOS machine for updating; no hassle with driver loaders under Windows, there are even some brave souls who use a Windows virtual machine on macOS to do a firmware update. I always adhere to Brian Smith's guidelines for firmware updates.

Correct, one of the more annoying cost saving measures of Sony, they only include external chargers with top-of-the-line cameras.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks Ad, I have saved this guide to updating - I will need a different version though as currently running OS 10.13 - but as no update to my A7iii yet I can wait.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work Ian. Welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ionian

ionian TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2018
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Glad you found your way here @Iansky@Iansky !

• Like Like x 1
  16. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Personally, if I had a Mac (I don't), after hearing of all the problems I would probably either find a friend with a Windows box or buy the cheapest one I could find (on Windows 10).

I cannot imagine there is a single soul out there who does not wish Sony would add updating firmware from a memory card.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome aboard! Good times to be a new mirrorless shooter. The Sony cameras are far more refined than when I jumped in from DSLRs over 4 years ago.

The good thing is that you won't be needing extra batteries like us 1 and 2nd gen camera users. The other good thing is that 3r party batteries and external chargers are available and reasonably priced. I have two dual USB chargers for my 'N' batts. One being a Wasabi. I know Wasabi has released a 'Z' external charger and Z battery. You may want to have a look at that one.

18. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thank you all and Will, I do intend to have a look at the Wasabi offerings along with Hahnel - no rush though as the new battery is amazing,

19. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Welcome aboard Ian ;) 

I, too, came to Sony (a7rii) via m4/3 (Oly E-M1)
    2 great systems!!
    In the end I swapped my m4/3 for an a6300 so now I have the same lens mount and battery for both FF and cropped sensor bodies.
    A win win scenario!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thank you Mike, I am enjoying the "Sony experience" as well as the size/weight difference compared to my Nikon full frame!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.