New to Sony NEX cameras and 3rd party lenses, need help

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kwhunter, Jan 16, 2013.

1. kwhunter

kwhunter TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 16, 2013
    Ontario
    Dan
    Hi.
    I'm new to NEX cameras, and I tried to use an older Carl Zeiss Jena 135/2.8 lens with an adaptor.
    Everything worked fine but I could not take any pictures since the camera displayed a message saying that the lens was not recognized.
    I could not circumvent that condition and I'm here now asking for help.
    I am using the same lens with my Canon 7D and an adaptor and it works great in manual mode, what did I do wrong with the NEX?
    Thanks.

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    There's an option in the settings setup menu:
    "Release w/o Lens" (that must be activated with manual lenses)!
    And you're done!

3. kwhunter

Jan 16, 2013
    Ontario
    Dan
    Of course! :eek:
    Thank you very much, Markus!

4. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    No problem! Let's see some results if you want to, I started with manual lenses just some days ago too and I know how hard it is getting used to them manual focus.

5. kwhunter

Jan 16, 2013
    Ontario
    Dan
    Looks like they don't work that great together...
    Just shot a couple pictures, the camera was showing in focus but they come out quite soft, and it is a strong chromatic abberation hallo around white objects.
    I remember it worked quite well with the 7D though; I will have to experiment some more.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Have you tried the "focus peaking" ???(set to yellow and Mid)

7. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Good point! This really is one of the smartest settings an the NEX series...

By the way: Nick, you prefer yellow peaking!!? Interesting, most people (as I do until now) use red peaking...

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome kwhunter! :)

• Focus peaking will aid your focusing accuracy greatly, as Nick and Markus mentioned.
    • CA and halo is not related to focusing however. Check if you're going in and out of hot and cold environments, as the lens elements might be forming condensation mist. This is a temporary situation, you just need to acclimatize your camera for a little while to equalize in temperature for the mist to disappear.
    • If it's not condensation, check the lens elements (front and back) in case they need cleaning.
    • If they are clean, look through the glass elements against a bright light source and check if the lens had grown fungus (not good).

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Don't get discouraged. I have the CZ Jena 135/3.5 and it's my most contrasty and almost sharpest lens ! Like Nick said, are you using Peaking ?? I was able to get sharp action shots near infinity with lens using Peaking. It's an incredibly good lens, I'm sure you'll squeeze great shots out of it. Give yourself time, MF takes practice !

10. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Did that with my new arrived Sigma Macro I bought at the bay some days ago...
    Still unsure if everything is like it should be... but I think no fungus, perhaps a bit of haze...

Good tip for cleaning an older lens for the first time:
    Try to get some Methanol alcohol in your pharmacy (be careful, it poisonous) and use some lens cleaning tissues (the throw away ones which are not supposed for multi use).
    Don't use lens tissue for normal glasses or liquids for cleaning normal glasses!

11. kwhunter

Jan 16, 2013
    Ontario
    Dan
    Yes, I have it set to Mid and white though.
    I also have the Zeiss 24/1.8 (made for Sony) and use it in MF as well; what a fantastic lens!

_DSC0134.

12. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    White works well also. I usually use yellow for daylight, and white indoors. YMMV.

13. kwhunter

Jan 16, 2013
    Ontario
    Dan
    Thanks!
    The lens is as clean as can be: no haze, fungus, fingerprints. I think it's me, I need more time with it.

14. kwhunter

Jan 16, 2013
    Ontario
    Dan
    Which is the best mode to shoot with manual focusing lenses: Program or Aperture priority? Seems to me that in these modes the camera computes the best shutter speed. Manual is an option too, obviously.
    Thank you.

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't think there is a "best" mode - just a mode for any given occasion ;)

That said, I mostly shoot M-mode if still subjects and S-mode if moving subjects ;)

16. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Program and Aperture are identical in the case where the MF lens has a manual aperture setting. Since the camera can't set the aperture, it uses whatever you have the lens set to, and therefore is the same in Program vs Aperture mode.

I know I've posted it somewhere, but can't find it. Between auto-ISO and PASM modes, you can do quite a bit with manual lenses:

• P mode, auto ISO: Same as A mode, auto ISO (Aperture is fixed by the manual lens)
    • A mode, auto ISO: Camera chooses shutter speed and ISO to get best exposure (Aperture is fixed)
    • S mode, auto ISO: Camera chooses ISO to get best exposure (Aperture and Shutter are fixed)
    • M mode, auto ISO: Same as S mode, auto ISO
    • P mode, fixed ISO: Same as A mode, fixed ISO
    • A mode, fixed ISO: Camera chooses shutter speed to get best exposure
    • S mode, fixed ISO: Same as M - Camera will tell you if you are under/over exposed
    • M mode, fixed ISO: Full manual control.

Reducing the duplicates, the most useful modes are:
    • A mode, auto ISO
    • S mode, auto ISO
    • A mode, fixed ISO
    • M mode, fixed ISO

17. LuvMusic

LuvMusic TalkEmount Regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Chicago area
    Thanks for this! I'm new to MF / using legacy glass and this is very helpful. :cool: