New to Sony, but not mirrorless ...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by jeffryscott, Jul 19, 2014.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Former newspaper photographer for 25 years whose back just isn't into carrying big and heavy. Just picked up an A6000 and a trio of Sigma Art lenses (19, 30 and 60). I've been searching for a small kit that equalled DSLR in performance for a while. While the OM-D EM-5 was oh so close, the long fast lens solutions was missing for my needs, at my price range. The gap has closed considerably, but at a cost. I was able to sell my EM-5 and lenses and purchased a Nikon D7000, 80-200 2.8 and 18-35 3.5/4.5 for the price of what an EM-1 would cost.

Fast forward to A6000. All the performance and MORE of my D7000 at a price point equal to my D7000. It isn't as durable, it isn't weather sealed, but I'll carry it with me and actually use it. Still keeping one D7000 and my 80-200 2.8 AF-S, but when I can afford it, I won't hesitate to get another A6000 and the 70-200 FE.

Some pics:

or here for more photojournalism
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Hi Jeff,

nice to see you here. I'm sure you won't be disappointed by the A6000 - by now, I think it's clear that you can make incredibly masterpieces with these cameras.

You captured some nice moments there in your photojournalism portfolio. And the swimming photo right at the start page is absolutely brilliant! I'd love to see more work of this quality from you - and I'm sure we will.

Welcome to the forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Welcome. The desire for lightweight yet capable cameras have brought many down the same path.

Love that we have more and more professionals with us.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Why the title? The A6000 is mirrorless... By the way you should enjoy it, less weight, smaller, and better performances than a D7000. True it's not as durable, but at this price...
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed, neither in the A6000 nor this great forum! ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Love your work. Welcome to Sony and to the forum. Two very nice places to be IMHO. :eek:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Welcome Jeff. You will love it here. Looking forward to some pics.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    I guess Jeff meant he is new to Sony, but not NEW to mirrorless (he had an Olympus O-MD EM-5, apparently).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Welcome - I'm fairly new here & new to Sony too, and also 25+ years in newspaper, with the final three overseeing a broadcast/newspaper Visuals staff.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Welcome Jeffry!

I too came from the Nikon camp and have joined into Sony's.
    I'm currently selling most of my Nikon gear and decided to release my D7000 to someone that will put it to good use.
    I find myself reaching for the A6000 each & every time and unfortunately the D7000 is now collecting dust.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pjtan25

pjtan25 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    Count me in as another Nikon customer who is migrating to Sony.

Instead of upgrading my D800 to the D810, I have frozen all Nikon purchases and bought the A7s instead.
    Luckily for me, it is easy to use my Nikkor lenses on the Sony.
    Future purchases will be FE Zeiss lenses or M-mount lenses like CV, or Leica (if I can find a suitably priced used lens).
    • Like Like x 2