1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to nex...lens help

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by gimme_timmies, Aug 27, 2013.

1. gimme_timmies

gimme_timmies New to TalkEmount

Aug 22, 2013
    Hi,
    I'm a new nex user and have the 5r with the kit 18-55 lens. I want to get one other lens and am tissed up between the 35mm 1.8 and the newly announced 18-105 power zoom. It is mainly to take family photos on day trips and the like. I know they are very different but I can only afford to get one additional lens at this time and would appreciate any advice on a second lens.
    Cheers,
    J

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that kit zoom is fine for that. The 35 mm does have bigger maximum aperture so you are able to take photographs in dimmer rooms but as focal length it doesn't add anything.

18-105 may be better for your needs.

3. gimme_timmies

gimme_timmies New to TalkEmount

Aug 22, 2013
    Thanks for the tip. Will I still get decent bokeh and DOF with a static F4 on the zoom? I know the 35 would be better, but is power zoom that much better than the kit?

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Nobody knows at the moment. I think that the power zoom isn't out yet.

5. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Flexibility wise, the new 18-105 should give you more range to shoot with. Especially if you're not fond of changing lenses.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I think that nails it. The 35mm is great, especially for low light work. However the 18-105mm seems much more versatile. I know I am going to be thinking about it.