1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New to me Nex 7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Aslondon, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Aslondon

Aslondon TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 12, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    Al
    Ever since I got my Nex 5N (which is now for sale) I lusted after a Nex 7. I recently found one locally that had less than 100 shots through it. It was the complete kit in the box - as new for $750. Needless to say I jumped on it. I enjoy using older OM prime lenses and was a little anxious to see how the peaking was with the 7. It was perfect, clear and easy to see, very accurate in the viewfinder as well as the LCD. I think I've found a keeper.

Al

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Congrats! I'll not say a bad word about other models, especially since I've never tried one. But I certainly am a fan of the mighty 7! :)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice catch at a great price.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Score! Great price on a great camera. Use it well. :)

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Congrats on the new cam !
    I myself have been going thru a 7 saga. I swapped my 6 for a 7 for a user curious to try the new model? He didn't like it and wanted his 7 back, so I got my 6 back tonight and after only a short series of frames I shot him an email saying I was buying his 7 !!
    I always read that the 24MP were noisier than 16, but with the specific units of both cams that I have, the 7 delivers definitely better IQ at all ISOs. It's not even fun to try to compare...
    Also, despite both being APS-C chips, the 7 sensor gives me a deeper sense of dimensionality in its images ?!?
    In short I really like the camera, I only wish I'd be able to disable some of the jpeg Creative Style not to have to scroll thru so many of them when I want to go from Landscape to B&W (the only two settings I use !).

6. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    leave it on colour, it's one of the easiest things to do in pp, covert to b+w.
    You also have the benefit of choice, which you do not get shooting b+w.
    I must admit I will be going after a second hand 7 after the festive season as a back up to the 6 or perhaps it will be vice versa and the 7 will take over as top dog

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I admit you are totally right, but for an unknown reason sometimes I just feel the urge to shoot in B&W ?! I'm not sure I'd have the same inspiration to *turn* the same shots in B&W after the fact...

For me after testing both side by side my alpha (no pun intented) dog is clearly picked ! (6 listed for sale...)

8. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I have a feeling the 7 will be the alpha female for me , but I still love the 6 and my a580 and a700,although i rarely use them except on holiday or special events,I could never imagine being without an slr camera,but accept willingly, new technology.

hope you have luck soon in your quest for 7th heaven

9. Aslondon

Jun 12, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    Al
    I would second the suggestion of shooting in color and pp later. It just gives som many options. Having said that, the creative process sometimes just wants to see it in B+W in the viewfinder.

Al

10. Aslondon

Jun 12, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    Al
    Jim
    A perfect place for the 16 I got from you.

Al

11. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Shoot in RAW+Jpeg and you have the B&W Jpeg with all the information (including colour) in the RAW file.

I usually shoot RAW but in some low contrast situations I'll use the B&W RAW+Jpeg because the peaking shows up very well.

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I wouldn't use Raw unless I have a gun to me head lol. I understand and respect those who do, but to me it's just a waste of time and a pain and I claim the legit right to feel that way.
    The smart thing to do is clearly to shoot honor and convert later. Sometimes though I just like to shoot native B&W. I think I can just map the creative style to the back wheel in the custom menu rather than a top wheel, I'll get to scroll thru modes vertically rather than horizontally and it'll be easier. Case closed ;)

13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Haha, I shoot Raw because it can sometimes save my photos from user incompetence.

You don't have that problem Claire. :)

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    No Colin, I won't let you say that. Though you're right, I do see raw as a crutch and it's part of the reason I dislike it. I like taking responsibility for my mistakes ;) but rest assured I do screw up my share of shots !!

15. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    like Claire I never shoot raw, in the old days of exposing and printing yourself, I used to make a darkroom out of the bathroom,guaranteed as soon as it was set up and ready to go one of the children wanted to use the toilet. It was a chore really, setting up and tidying up afterwards and maybe not even getting a good print out of 2/3 hours work, I look on raw as being this part of digital photography, I don,t need it and I am happy with the results of modern day jpeg,they get a bad name because of their predecessors but they have come a long long way since their conception in digital photography.

I enjoy the ease of taking and looking at photos in jpeg, rather than putting a lot of work in for something, that perhaps only myself will see, which accounts for about 95% of the photos I take.
    That magical picture will come sooner or later whether your shooting jpeg or raw and more than likely it will have been 90% luck and 10% skill

each to his/her own

16. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    is a super price, I hope you enjoy your nex 7 m y friend.

17. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    That's a great price for the 7. I got a 7 recently. Had the 5N but I somehow sat on it while I was traveling and broke the EVF. Instead of investing in another EVF, I went for the 7 while they were on boxing day sale. Not as much of a deal as yours. But I'm still happy.