• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New (to me) NEX 7

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Got some great detail in there. Is that with the 38? Do you notice the most difference from your 5 when you crop? The biggest thing I miss to this day from my 5n was the articulating evf.

The 38 arrived with a pretty significant case of Fungus so I sent it back. I feel kinda dumb because I thought I saw fungus in the photos of the Pen 38 but the seller said it was clean so I convinced myself it was just a finger print. It wasn't. That shot's with my Nikkor 35/2. I really love the way it renders an image. Right now the 35/2 and an old Nikkor 50/2 are gong to see the most action. I also have what looks to be a super clean Hexanon 50/1.4 on the way (used the refund from the Pen 38). I'm excited to try the Hex 50 on the Sony body. I have always really liked the IQ of those lenses but have had a kinda love/hate relationship with it. We'll see what happens.

What I notice the most (so far) is what appears to be better tonality with BW, of course I've only played with it a little so far.

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
The 38 arrived with a pretty significant case of Fungus so I sent it back. I feel kinda dumb because I thought I saw fungus in the photos of the Pen 38 but the seller said it was clean so I convinced myself it was just a finger print. It wasn't. That shot's with my Nikkor 35/2. I really love the way it renders an image. Right now the 35/2 and an old Nikkor 50/2 are gong to see the most action. I also have what looks to be a super clean Hexanon 50/1.4 on the way (used the refund from the Pen 38). I'm excited to try the Hex 50 on the Sony body. I have always really liked the IQ of those lenses but have had a kinda love/hate relationship with it. We'll see what happens.

What I notice the most (so far) is what appears to be better tonality with BW, of course I've only played with it a little so far.

I also have a nice 38, for some reason it doesn’t stay locked onto the adapter. I don’t know how to fix that issue. If you have an idea how, I can hook you up.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I also have a nice 38, for some reason it doesn’t stay locked onto the adapter. I don’t know how to fix that issue. If you have an idea how, I can hook you up.

LOL, I have had that same problem on the past. I think that after 5 Pen 38’s I’m going to lay off. It’s a great little lens but I think I’ll use the Nikkor instead.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Very nice results in color, especially for JPEGs. But don't dismiss the Sony RAWs due to the satisfactory JPEGs. I know I have in the past. If you're running a Windows PC, download Cap-One for Sony Express. It does a fine job on Sony RAWs.

I think you're going to enjoy the Hexanon 50-f/1.4. It's super sharp with a neutral rendering of colors and a lot of micro-contrast. Sharper in the center wide open compared to the older 57mm f/1.4 without losing too much of the creamy bokeh that one is celebrated for. Some think the 50-f/1.4 is their better 50mm, but I think their 50mm f/1.7 is overall the sharper 50mm. But the f/1.4 will likely suit your style of composition better.

As for the suspect Pen-F 38mm f/1.8 not engaging the adapter, the spring-loaded steel tab isn't rising up on the flange. The spring could be weak or stuck, or the tab itself gunked up and not moving. Rust could also be a cause.
This lens is very easy to disassemble and service. So, if you're handy and brave, dig right into it for cleaning off fungus, removing grease from the blades, and to investigate the mount issue.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Very nice results in color, especially for JPEGs. But don't dismiss the Sony RAWs due to the satisfactory JPEGs. I know I have in the past. If you're running a Windows PC, download Cap-One for Sony Express. It does a fine job on Sony RAWs.

I think you're going to enjoy the Hexanon 50-f/1.4. It's super sharp with a neutral rendering of colors and a lot of micro-contrast. Sharper in the center wide open compared to the older 57mm f/1.4 without losing too much of the creamy bokeh that one is celebrated for. Some think the 50-f/1.4 is their better 50mm, but I think their 50mm f/1.7 is overall the sharper 50mm. But the f/1.4 will likely suit your style of composition better.

As for the suspect Pen-F 38mm f/1.8 not engaging the adapter, the spring-loaded steel tab isn't rising up on the flange. The spring could be weak or stuck, or the tab itself gunked up and not moving. Rust could also be a cause.
This lens is very easy to disassemble and service. So, if you're handy and brave, dig right into it for cleaning off fungus, removing grease from the blades, and to investigate the mount issue.

I have the Sony specific C1P. Mine is version 8 but I am thinking of updating it to version 10. I used it when I shot Fuji because it (unlike Lightroom) did a really nice job with Fuji Raw files. The Hex 50/1.4 will be fun. I've had the 50/1.7 in the past and you're absolutely right, it is suuuuuper sharp but I prefer the rendering on the 50/1.4. As to the Pen 38. I trued to fix oily aperture blades one my last copy...let's just say that didn't go so well. I've had 5 of them over the years (as well as a 100/3.5 and 40/1.4) and while I like them I mainly pick them up because I want something small. That said, I wasn't too bummed to return the Pen 38 and get the Hex 50 in exchange.

Reactions: WNG

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
The NEX 7 arrived today. It’s in great shape and the “paint loss” on the back buttons was really just some adhesive residue that took all of 30 seconds to remove. Roberts Camera rated it as moderate wear but I looked really closely and it looks great to me, and having under 2500 shutter actuations is an nice bonus.

My initial impression is that I like it a lot. I find it much more comfortable than my old X-Pro 1. It took some time to set it up the way I like it because the options are pretty different than those of the 5n (not sure why I was surprised by that). The build quality is really sweet and I love how responsive it is compared to the Fuji. The Tri-Navi is great. Not sure why it didn’t catch on.

Right now however I am really missing the Fuji lens options. I keep thinking how cool it would be to have options like the Fuji 18/2 and 35/2 available for the NEX 7. Lenses like the Sigma 19 and 30 are very nice but they really aren’t in the same class. That said, my adapted lenses will be very happy.

Down the road I want to pick up one or two native lenses but so far none of them knock my socks off (except for the ones I can never afford). The Sigmas 19/30 are probably the safe pick or maybe just go with the Sony 28/2 and call it good. Of course that comes later. Right now I have enough old Nikkors and Minoltas to keep me busy.

Miss Tri-Nav when using my A7rii.

If I had one bit of advice - skip the Sigmas, skip the 28/2 and use that money to buy a used good copy of the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8. Just a perfect match with the NEX-7. Still my favorite lens and miss it dearly.

Use the old manual lenses for the other focal lengths.

Last edited:

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Miss Tri-Nav when using my A7rii.

If I had one bit of advice - skip the Sigmas, skip the 28/2 and use that money to buy a used good copy of the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8. Just a perfect match with the NEX-7. Still my favorite lens and miss it dearly.

Use the old manual lenses for the other focal lengths.

I may just do that. It's means a bit more saving and waiting but if I'm going to have just one lens it may as well be that one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom