New (to me) NEX 7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Oct 16, 2017.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I just picked up a NEX 7 at a very attractive price. It was on auction from a dealer I have bought several lenses from and I made what I thought was an offer that there was no way they would accept (but they did). It's got some paint loss on a couple of the rear buttons but otherwise looks super clean, the screen is spotless and it has under 2500 shutter actuations. Also, being a dealer it has a 30 day return option.

It'll be here in a week and I'm looking forward to putting the camera to good use. I have a Pen-F 38/1.8 that I want to pair it up with. What I am most interested in is shooting BW. I get great images from my 5n and I am hoping the 24mp sensor in the 7 will do the same. The main reason I got it however is the Tri-Navi and to have an EVF. I briefly considered buying the external EVF for the 5n but it was significantly cheaper to just get the NEX 7.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think taking a Sharpie to the buttons on the back might be an easy peasy cure for the little bit of paint loss.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I love using my Pen-F 38mm f/1.8 on my a6000. It's become the lens that stays on the body. And it returns wonderful results converted to B&W. So sharp and so dimensional.
    I think you're going to enjoy the added pixels and EVF. I can't imagine living without an EVF.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I think a company sells stickers to put on the buttons. May be more attractive. There a little puffy. If I can find it I’ll send you the link. Congrats on the body. I never used one myself. I went from the 5n to the 6 to the a7. The 7 always looked very appetizing.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Cool, little stickers would be great.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Great, looking forward to it. I think the Pen 38 will make for a nice compact walk-around kit.

7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Agree...I use R. Luther's NEX-7 button set on the 4 major buttons.

Sony NEX-7 Camera

My camera photo below shows one of the raised dome shaped buttons on the 'Navigation Button'...top, right, front...the other 3 are on the back.

UPLOAD.JPG

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Some of my all-time favorite photos were taken with that Pen-F 38mm, when I still had my NEX-6. The lens didn't work so well on my A7, so off to eBay it went. And a sadness fell upon the land.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    WOW those are nice. That's just what I need...just ordered them.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    IMO, they're "worth their weight in gold" as the old saying goes :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
  12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Well, it looks like it has a focus ring. I have an old Olympus Trip 35 with the aperture ring and three settings for the lens (mountain, group of people and one person) and it's a pretty great little camera. There's something really appealing about its simplicity. I have often wondered what a lens like that would be like to shoot with on a digital camera.

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats on the purchase!

14. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Thank you. I’m looking forward to it. It’ll be fun to have a little extra resolution and the EVF and Tri-Navi will add a little more practicality than I have now. I really liked the 7 when it came out but could never afford one ($1199 body only). Yay for depreciation.

• Like Like x 2
  15. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The NEX 7 arrived today. It’s in great shape and the “paint loss” on the back buttons was really just some adhesive residue that took all of 30 seconds to remove. Roberts Camera rated it as moderate wear but I looked really closely and it looks great to me, and having under 2500 shutter actuations is an nice bonus.

My initial impression is that I like it a lot. I find it much more comfortable than my old X-Pro 1. It took some time to set it up the way I like it because the options are pretty different than those of the 5n (not sure why I was surprised by that). The build quality is really sweet and I love how responsive it is compared to the Fuji. The Tri-Navi is great. Not sure why it didn’t catch on.

Right now however I am really missing the Fuji lens options. I keep thinking how cool it would be to have options like the Fuji 18/2 and 35/2 available for the NEX 7. Lenses like the Sigma 19 and 30 are very nice but they really aren’t in the same class. That said, my adapted lenses will be very happy.

Down the road I want to pick up one or two native lenses but so far none of them knock my socks off (except for the ones I can never afford). The Sigmas 19/30 are probably the safe pick or maybe just go with the Sony 28/2 and call it good. Of course that comes later. Right now I have enough old Nikkors and Minoltas to keep me busy.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Glad your diggin it. Can’t wait to see what you do with it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Me too...it just feels right in a way that few cameras (that I’ve owned) do. I’ll probably start with my various Nikkors since that’s what I’ve been using on the 5n.

18. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    37602751690_4413488ddd_b.
    content
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

First shot...not the most exciting thing but the weather wasn't cooperating nearly well as Milo was.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Got some great detail in there. Is that with the 38? Do you notice the most difference from your 5 when you crop? The biggest thing I miss to this day from my 5n was the articulating evf.