1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New (to me) NEX 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jul 9, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    My new to me NEX 6 arrived and I have a few observations as a NEX 5n owner and as a Fuji XE1 owner.

18915523024_8d18154d90_b.
    short but eventful life
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

19540768495_b56f7e0829_b.
    mystic stump
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

The XE1 is a very nice camera to be sure and is much touted as a photographers camera and for the most part it lives up its reputation but there are some things on the NEX that really stand out by comparison. First off the EVF is incredibly nice. The XE1 and the NEX 6 both have high resolution EVFs but that is where the similarity stops. The EVF on the NEX is sharper, less laggy and huge. Also, if you take off the fiddly eye cup the EVF seems gigantic.

The NEX is fast. We're not talking AF with adapted lenses (although the XE1 AF is nothing to get excited about) but when using it the NEX goes about its business very quickly. I have always thought that my 5n seemed a lot like shooting film (speed wise) and the NEX 6 is no different. By comparison the Fuji seems positively pokey. It's not but the difference in quickness is very noticeable.

Finally, I have to say that the build quality of the NEX is IMHO a bit nicer than that of the Fuji. They're both nice but the fit and finish of the NEX 6 is definitely a step up (which was definitely not the case with the 5T i briefly had).

I had originally thought I would keep the XE1 as a second body but after an afternoon of shooting with the 6 I don't see that happening.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Glad you liked your Nex-6 and those are some great shots Kevin!!! ;)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hope you enjoy the NEX-6 as much as I did.

4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Thanks, having a lot of fun with the NEX 6 and getting back to what I like to do best.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's a fun camera and despite me not being overly fond of EVFs I am finding the one on the NEX 6 to be pretty useful. It makes for a very flexible camera when you have a flip down screen AND a useable EVF. It's giving me options that weren't available with my XE1 or my 5n.

6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Damn nice and flexible camera you've got there, Kevin. Enjoy it!
    PS: there are rumors about different materials having been used for the top section on the 6. In the case of my ex-6 it was definitely metal but some folks said theirs is made from plastic.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The body has a weight to it that makes me think it might have a magnesium frame like the 5n did. The outer skin feel like it's some sort of high impact plastic. Interestingly, even though my Fuji XE1 has a metal body the NEX 6 feels more substantial. The 5T however felt very light and despite being pretty well put together it felt very plasticky.

8. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I'm glad your enjoying it! I have fun with mine still along with the 3n, a7r and a7ii. They all have their own use for me.

9. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Coming from a year old owner of the NEX6 you are in for a ton of fun... Its an amazing camera. Specially when you begin to use the remote control or timelapse apps. The really amazing wifi to send to phone feature and the great focus peaking for manual lenses..