• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New to me 50mm SEL. Better shade and a question.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I just got a new to me 50mm SEL. I messed around with it a bit last night, and love it.

The shade that comes with this lens is huge. I am not sure I would ever use it. Looking into my junk drawer, I noticed one of the "flower pedel" shades that was left over from a previous lens. It fits perfectly! :thumbup:

I noticed the 50mm has a firmware update. How do I check to see if this has been done? Also, how does one update the firmware on a lens?

This lens could quickly become a favorite lens.

José De Bardi

Assistant in Virtue
Real Name
José
Perfect, (even if it is for the UK:rolleyes:)

Thanks.

LOL - the Sony websites are so inconsistent across the globe! I just use whichever one has what I need at the time! In this case handily, the UK site is actually pretty good when it comes to E-Mount Lens support.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
A couple of shots with the "Petal" hood.

Attachments

• 1398532292712.jpg
    1398532292712.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 1398532319457.jpg
    1398532319457.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 363

Amamba

TalkEmount All-Pro
The OEM hood offers excellent protection, I'd use it just for this.

I don't know if it flares without a hood. Never took it off. I also don't know if that petal hood does you much good anyway - it's not designed for this lens and it's way shorter.

If you only use hood for protection, just get a decent filter & mount hood backwards on the lens, only put it on when there's an issue with flaring / contrast loss.

José De Bardi

Assistant in Virtue
Real Name
José
Assuming the OEM hood is the same one as the SEL55210 then the problem with backward mounting it (which you can) is that you can't reach the focus ring anymore... So AF only which would be very annoying for me at least as I usually use DMF a fair bit.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Assuming the OEM hood is the same one as the SEL55210 then the problem with backward mounting it (which you can) is that you can't reach the focus ring anymore... So AF only which would be very annoying for me at least as I usually use DMF a fair bit.

Umm.. yeah, you're not supposed to use it with a backward mounted hood. ;)

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
The OEM hood offers excellent protection, I'd use it just for this.

I don't know if it flares without a hood. Never took it off. I also don't know if that petal hood does you much good anyway - it's not designed for this lens and it's way shorter.

If you only use hood for protection, just get a decent filter & mount hood backwards on the lens, only put it on when there's an issue with flaring / contrast loss.

Umm.. yeah, you're not supposed to use it with a backward mounted hood. ;)

It came off of a 18-55mm which is much the same size.

I really don't know if I will keep it on, and how much it actually does, or perhaps get a small one, just for protection.

I do DMF a lot, so backwards would not work.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
First shots

Very dim room, watching the tv.

DSC00423.JPG
   ---            

Windy, cloudy day.

DSC00448.JPG
   ---            

Latest threads