• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New to 'adapting'; confused re: LTM 39 to E mounts

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Happily not the case this time. Though Amazon tracking was not updated, nonetheless, there it was on my doorstep at 3:30 pm.

Boy, these are tiny -

20200726_160841RESIZED.jpg
SM-N960U    ---    4mm    f/1.5    1/33s    ISO 250

But the troublesome grub/worm/set insectivora screw thing turned out not to be 0.7mm, but 0.9mm (and note the requisite anti-launch fuzzy towel)

20200726_161212RESIZED.jpg
SM-N960U    ---    4mm    f/1.5    1/30s    ISO 320

Luckily, no thread locker had been applied, and in a thrice, Voila! -

20200726_161253RESIZED.jpg
SM-N960U    ---    4mm    f/1.5    1/27s    ISO 250

Very interesting edge profile to the adapter inner piece -

K&F-profile.jpg
   ---            

Let the shimming begin!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Usually when we get a message like that it means the shipment has to travel half way across the country so it can be properly sorted and sent back to the local shipping company.
There have been times when I just wanted to show up at a loading dock and ask which box was mine.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
That profile insures that the piece is held in by the screws. The tighter the screws the tighter the piece is drawn into the other piece. This works better than if that piece had a straight cut edge to it.

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Ah, no. There are three, evenly spaced around the perimeter. A high-quality product, considering the low price. Certainly the profile makes good sense.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
That's good that there are three. It was kind of hard to tell how many there were.

I think that would mean you can shim behind that back edge of the silver piece and still get the same holding action out of the screws.

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Sure does (holding small flash light in one hand and the phone in the other - an interesting juggle) -

Innner-surface.jpg
   ---            

Do you think the multiple inner "steps" mean that "blanks" of this adapter are possibly used for a variety of different finished mounts?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Could be as I'm sure it's used in multiple applications.
So, those three screws are what is holding the lens 'in' the adapter if you were trying to pull it out. Might want to keep that in mind when setting the orientation of the adapter on the camera. If it were me, I'd put two of the screws on the 'top' side of the mount.

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
I briefly walked out this morning into what remains of the garden after three successive violent thunderstorms in the midst of a crushing heat wave. The weather here, though we are on the Middle Atlantic seaboard, used to be akin to that the Deep South; nowadays, it's more Bangladesh. So much for the garden season.

I'd waited too long. The burning sun was already up and flattening tones, but I wanted just a couple quick snaps with the still-unshimmed Industar. Here is a, oh, 65% crop; my poor small varieties. Took no time, snapped it off; focus a bit off, yet that Industar ...

ILCE-6000    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/400s    ISO 400

I must look into more FSU glass.

ILCE-6000    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/400s    ISO 400

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
(Mid-writing of this post, the power went out for an hour. Bless the soul who enabled auto-save of drafts.)

Shims.

A fresh section of the previously-seen 0.13mm beverage can:

Shim templateRESIZED.jpg
SM-N960U    ---    4mm    f/2.4    1/150s    ISO 50

Shim cut outRESIZED.jpg
SM-N960U    ---    4mm    f/2.4    1/59s    ISO 80

And a little nipping and curved-scissors trimming, and the 0.13 part is taken care of.
Mindful of Petro's recommendation for 0.20, we go looking for something to make up the remaining 0.07mm

Nothing. Even printer paper is too thick. After micrometer-ing everything in sight, the pages of an instruction booklet for a little appliance's remote control looked to compress/crush a bit to 0.07-0.08. En sandwich between the Fotasy parts, should be ok +-. One paper layer is not ideal, but here we are 0.20-0.21.
And so short-range to the middle distance is fine.
But infinity?

A sixty percent crop - tops of very (80 ft plus) high poplars at about 125-130(?) yards distance. F8. Focus assist lighted up on the foliage, nearer and farther.

ShimInf test 150 yards.jpg
ILCE-6000    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/400s    ISO 250

Yet!
On the lens dial, the focus mark is somehow beyond the infinity symbol by about 1 mm, even with the latch in place and operating (and that was uninstalled for this shim test business). The whole scale seems wonky, but only the scale - never noticed this before.
I focus sheerly by rangefinder view with the Zorki rangefinder, and have seen no disparity between the rangefinder view and the resulting images. With focus assist, the Sony agrees that the distance is not what the lens scale markings say it is. Hmm - has there been a misalignment of dial scales during the CLA? Is that even possible?

I have the dread feeling of again not seeing something in plain sight, laughably obvious to experienced LTM/FSU people.

Anyhow, "set" at "infinity", dial pegged, this crop is what I get.

Thank you for your remarks and observations.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Good job on cutting that shim out!
I really wouldn't worry about whether or not the focus scale agrees with what the camera says is in focus. Who cares? The camera is determining what is in focus off what it sees on the sensor, which is afterall, what really matters, right?

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Of course, the camera is the thing here
My curiosity is piqued about the dial, which I have seen is also very incorrect at shorter distances by actual tape-measurement. Odd.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Of course, the camera is the thing here
My curiosity is piqued about the dial, which I have seen is also very incorrect at shorter distances by actual tape-measurement. Odd.
You are measuring from the sensor plane, and not the front of the lens, yes?

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Maybe something got lost in uh, translation?
You did say it was Russian didn't you?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
It is, Comrade, but total homegrown brainlock here - strictly a Zork problem.
Last hour; lighted headband loupe, took out the adjustment hatch screw, bit of a turn, dial 1 meter is one meter again, anyway, by measurement. Look at it more mañana.

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
You are measuring from the sensor plane, and not the front of the lens, yes?
Just seeing what the Industar dial would read when the Sony focus assist showed everything was jake.
On the Zorki, if the dial pointer is more than 0.05mm beyond inf. the mark, it's out, and I should have questioned that earlier. 10 meters (32' 8" & change) on the dial was a measured 27 feet!

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
An image of a sensor plane marker on a Sony A7ii.

ILCE-7M3       94mm    f/4.0    1/20s    ISO 12800

(Why are my camera's always soooooo dirty?)

Top Bottom