• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New Thinkpad P-51 is fantastic !

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
I periodically updated what were our top of the line T510 Thinkpads from 7 years ago...bumping their RAM from 2gb to 4gb then 8gb...new fast SSD hard drives...better faster Windows OS to Win 10 Pro, etc...and to this day they continue to be very respectable, quick laptops for virtually all general purpose work.

But one of the shortcomings of the older laptop's display for photography was if it was tilted forward or backward even a little it would affect the brightness level & apparent sharpness of the image. And until I figured out I was actually mal-adjusting brightness & sharpness due to display tilt...(and got one of those little mechanical alignment attachments to mount on the side of the screen)...many of my image brightness / sharpness tweaks resulted in less than ideal results when viewrd by other people and I had no idea because they looked fine to me.

Given that, and seeing the IQ of the newer technology screen resolution on my wife's iPad, I researched / ordered a new high performance laptop, arrived the other day and what a difference it makes with the photography hobby.
Lenovo Thinkpad T-51, fastest processor, 16GB RAM, 4GB graphics card, high resolution screen, etc. Its very noticeably faster and images are much improved on the display as I assumed / hoped they would be.

But the real unexpected surprise about the screen quality is that it no longer has to be precisely lined up 90* to my line of sight to have correct brightness displayed...it can literally be tilted several inches in either direction with no change...a huge plus, especially as I fidget around while using the "post processing sitting in a recliner method".
:)
The old constantly upgraded laptop was certainly fast enough to use...IE: when I'd load an image into something like GIMP, it would take several seconds to load as I watched the progress bar move across the screen, etc...but with this new laptop, when I click an image to import, the screen just blinks.
So while I may still turn out ho-hum photos, I'll be turning them out much faster.
:)

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
I had to select Funny for that last line! :D

IPS technology is a wonderful improvement over regular TN panels. If you were willing to sacrifice the portability, an IPS monitor could have been attached to your laptop to gain that advantage and a larger area for image editing. Of course, you don't get the faster processing of modern HW.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
I had to select Funny for that last line! :D

IPS technology is a wonderful improvement over regular TN panels. If you were willing to sacrifice the portability, an IPS monitor could have been attached to your laptop to gain that advantage and a larger area for image editing. Of course, you don't get the faster processing of modern HW.
Unwieldy in a recliner :)

metalmania

TalkEmount Regular
IPS screen is usually that good. My $499 Asus F510UA has a nice FHD IPS screen and I find that it's really good for the PP.

Latest threads

Top Bottom