1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Spare Cameras

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Dan Brisbane, May 26, 2015.

1. Dan Brisbane

Dan Brisbane TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 10, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Dan
    Hi Everyone

Wondering what your thoughts are on picking up a couple of spare cameras that are versatile. I have looked briefly online at the A6000, however am wondering how it would perform if being used for Star trails (high iso) or Wildlife (Need a fast autofocus). The attractions of the A6000 are obviously the price, supposed quick autofocus (feedback please), Frame rate and the ability to use my 70-400mm and effectively get around 600mm.

My A7/7r just don't focus quick enough and are not what I expected as far as picture quality goes at high iso (the A7s came out too late - I already had these two).

Would love to hear your thoughts on the above and am open to suggestions for other cameras. Ideally I would like to keeping my Sony lenses and lens adaptors as opposed to buying another brand and not being able to use them.

2. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I wouldn't call them spare cameras. :)
    When I was a young photographer I used different cameras and film for different jobs. Everything from rangefinder and SLR 35mm to 8x10 view cameras. I had 4 preferred film stocks from B&W with three different developers, to color negative and transparency film.
    Today, We have digital sensor and firmware characteristics wedded in a camera body. It makes sense that one will want different cameras for different applications. The advantage Sony offers is a wide range of camera firmware/sensor alternatives that can be used with a common set of lenses. That's unique in the industry today.

3. Dan Brisbane

Apr 10, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Dan
    Thanks, I know what you mean, but thats exactly what they will be - something of a secondary option, or if 1 interchangeable mirrorless camera isn't enough. Appreciate you have posted a reply, but it doesn't really answer what I was asking.

4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I would think if the high ISO performance of the A7/A7R is not up to the standard you are after the A6000 is not going to be any better.

5. Dan Brisbane

Apr 10, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Dan
    Thanks mate, I thought that might be the case. Thoughts on the autofocus? As quick as claimed?