1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Sony teleconverters..

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by DYNOBOB, Feb 13, 2016.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    Any reason these won't work with any lens that fits on E mount? Seems like a nice way to turn a Samyang 135 into a 270 and won't take up much space.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I read somewhere that they are designed specifically works with the new 70-200mm. You can search it. The A-mount Sony converters are similar, eg do not work with all the lenses. I got the cheap kenko version, they are OK for what it is. For 2x you need to stop down more to gain sharpness...

3. DYNOBOB

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    I saw that also about the 70-200 but I found this on Sony's website. "Compatible w/ a range of lenses" ?? It will prob cost $500+ but if it lives up to there G Master resolution standards should make a hella sharp 270/f4 with the Samyang for under a grand.

Capture_1.

4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

It depends on whether or not the lens you want to use it on has a recessed rear element. Look how much it's going to stick into the lens it attaches to in the post above!

5. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    If it can be physically connected, should work with any lens.

270/4 sounds like an interesting idea, but on the other hand, you can have for less money (then Sammy + tcon) old Nikon 300/4 if you seek for this reach/aperture.

6. DYNOBOB

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    The appeal for me is I already have Sammy. :)

7. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Good point, but unless you need tcon for 70-200/2.8GM, it is better to get another great MF lens instead.

8. DYNOBOB

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    Much of my photography is done on motorcycle trips so no room room for a 300mm. The 2x intrigues me because at 270mm I could prob crop to a nice 400mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, if those TCs play nice with my 24-240, I may just have to check them out. My experience with older Canon FD lenses and a TC was pretty dismal. The CA was so massive I quickly gave up on the idea..

10. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    you have to have a FAST lens for the TC to work properly. I would think a TCx1.5 on a f/4 70-200 is as far as I'd push it. On the 24-240 you are already at f/6.3 what do you think a TC will do and your focus speed will suffer. JMO

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, you're probably right, Xterra. I'll let someone else be the beta tester on that one. ;)