New Sony just revealed.....A7RIV 61 MP!!!

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Yet Another Link, but I thought he had some interesting details and was able to have the camera for a week in the wilds of Alaska.
Taking The New Sony a7R IV to Alaska

Good to know Sony definitely appears to be going full steam ahead in light of the competition heating things up. Exciting times, and I for one am staying with Sony for the foreseeable future.

I am sure the A7Siii will be one of the forthcoming remaining three cameras everyone is expecting. Surely they will use at least the newer batteries, beyond that who knows for sure? To be honest I am still kind of hoping for a small, lower-cost full-frame body. The a7iii looks great and all, yet part of the initial appeal to Sony for me was the small size of the 5N. I know it was APS-C, but still it seems things are getting kinda big again and I want to stay with full frame sensors. Realistically it is probably not going to happen, though. Hopefully we will find out soon.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
The other I'm betting will be the a7000 (or A6) in this new body. An APS-C version of the A9 sensor, 20 fps, 30 fps electronic, 5.76 EVF, dual S2 slots, 4K60 10-bit in-camera.
$2000-$2500 USD.

I don't think we're going to see the A7SIII/IV till Jan 2020. I suspect they are trying to cram a 16MP global shutter sensor into it.
I wouldn't bet against you, that's for sure. Sony's sensor dominance is really paying off. All of this squares with the rumors months back that the technology wasn't quite ready for the A7SIII.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
This camera is drool worthy but... the A7iii already does everything I need and more. And like someone said the R cameras have always meant a computer upgrade which will just put it beyond a sensible upgrade path for me.

Still, I always daydreamed about pairing an aps-c camera with my A7iii for tele purposes, except I hated the lack of dials on all the aps-c bodies (being a M shooter), but it does look like in 2 or 3 years time when my A7iii needs replacing I could just get one of these ... at used prices it should be quite the value-for-money body by then!

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
I like the look of the minor changes in buttons and wheels. It looks to me like there is a dial lock on the exposure comp wheel. Is that a first on these (I haven’t played with any of the gen 3s)? I know I am constantly bumping the wheel by mistake on my A7Rii, so that seems a great little improvement.

mstphoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Stephen
I think a tripod would be a "must" for this amount of Mp
Don't think its a camera for walking around shooting hand held unless you bump up the ISO for faster shutter speeds or dumb it down to crop mode

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I have shot video. By accident. :D
Fortunately I learned of the option to disable the video button on the A7ii outside video shooting mode.

There are so many improvements that a lot is being overlooked, even little things that seem small but make it that much better.
You can now change the color of the focus selector.
Ability to save camera settings to a card (not just the mode save we have now, but the whole setup like custom keys etc. is my impression).
Dual UHS-II slots.
AF without closing aperture.
New shutter and IBIS designs.
Pixel-shift upgrade (240M files!).
Improved weather resistance (including the battery door).

With all these fixes/updates, I cannot wait to see what the internet complains about next. :rolleyes:

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Lots to like, esp the improved ergos.

For action shooters Sony's version of PreBurst or Pro Capture is still missing.

It's an obvious advantage enjoyed by mirrorless.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Ziggy, as an 'R'-series camera I don't think they are aiming this at birders or fast action/sports photographers. That would be the A9, or perhaps the rumored A9-ii. And at 61MP full frame, that would be rather challenging technology wise, I should think.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
10 fps with continuous AE, A9-level AF and crop mode puts it into this market segment Bob. At least a good few followers think it does.
But Sony made an odd decision to have a much smaller buffer in crop mode so perhaps you're right.
Anyway we're not seeing disposable shot buffering in any model.

mstphoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Stephen
Ziggy, as an 'R'-series camera I don't think they are aiming this at birders or fast action/sports photographers. That would be the A9, or perhaps the rumored A9-ii. And at 61MP full frame, that would be rather challenging technology wise, I should think.
Perhaps not up to the A9 standards but the ability to crop in hard would be a huge benefit to Birders and some sports togs.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
10 fps with continuous AE, A9-level AF and crop mode puts it into this market segment Bob. At least a good few followers think it does.
But Sony made an odd decision to have a much smaller buffer in crop mode so perhaps you're right.
Anyway we're not seeing disposable shot buffering in any model.

One preview video at the press release stated the A7RIV will buffer 200+ shots in APS-C mode.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I am with WNG in that from what I read/saw, buffer in APS-C was roughly 3X full-frame. Which makes a lot of sense, technically, to me anyway.

I know the A7Riv can be good for birding/action for reasons cited - but caching images off of a new 61MP sensor sounds non-trivial to me, and they already had a lot of things to consume development time which is even more precious in the light of competition. If there is an A9ii around the corner and they are considering such image caching I would think they would focus those resources over there. That's all.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom