• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New Sony FE lenses (FE 16-35 f/2.8 & 12-24 f/4)

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
If someone didn't know better, one would think Sony were doing something that other brands that share a mount between FF and APSC didn't do. Sony is not making APSC lenses because it makes no business sense. They already have enough to be competitive. Canon and Nikon don't care about APSC lenses either and they are the top of the food chain. Canon has 3 APSC primes. 3...

D

Deleted member 5158

Well Nikon have both a 40mm and a 85mm micro for apsc, 60mm and 105mm micros for full-time, they've got apsc f/2,8 zooms, an apsc fisheye and without counting I think more apsc lenses than Sony does. So to say they don't see a market for apsc is not quite true.
Anyway enough about that, it's nice to see Sony stir up the camera market.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
Well Nikon have both a 40mm and a 85mm micro for apsc, 60mm and 105mm micros for full-time, they've got apsc f/2,8 zooms, an apsc fisheye and without counting I think more apsc lenses than Sony does. So to say they don't see a market for apsc is not quite true.
Anyway enough about that, it's nice to see Sony stir up the camera market.

I purposely left off Nikon to emphasize how people are viewing Sony from a completely different sphere than other brands when they are operating similarly. APSC is not the focus of any brand that uses the same mount for FF and APSC. I didn't use Nikon because I didn't want to get into context.

Nikon has been around longer than anyone and have the luxury/liability of decades of backwards compatibility. So for Nikon you have to see context. The 40 and 85 primes you mentioned were released in 2011 and 2009 respectively. The Fisheye released 2003. The lone 2.8 zoom they released dates back to 2003 and was "refreshed" in 2006. I wouldn't call that a dedication to the APSC Market. Furthermore, they have 120 lenses currently sold at B&H; 95 are FF. So 80% of Nikon lenses are FF. Sony has only 39 lenses on E-mount; 22 FF 17 APSC for only 56 percent FF. I know there are duplicates in Sony, but the same goes for Nikon and Canon.

Sony isn't doing anything the market doesn't dictate. When a brand has both FF and APSC lenses sharing the "same mount" (there is no such thing as FE mount), they will always gravitate to the more profitable arena. If anyone wants dedication to APSC, they will only get that from a brand that only supports APSC like Fuji. The minute Sony put a FF sensor in E-mount cameras, APSC became secondary.

photomadnz

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Andy
Had a play with all 3 of the new lenses yesterday on my A7r2. Very impressed with both wide options! Good into the corners which I never got with any FE 16-35mm F4 that Ive tried... Compared to me adapted Canon 16-35mm F4 that is..... Cant wait to get mine :)

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Had a play with all 3 of the new lenses yesterday on my A7r2. Very impressed with both wide options! Good into the corners which I never got with any FE 16-35mm F4 that Ive tried... Compared to me adapted Canon 16-35mm F4 that is..... Cant wait to get mine :)

The FE16-35 f4 is a great lens, nothing wrong with corner sharpness at all...

31271436962_4ee4f423fe_c.jpg
   ---            

31209178931_d6de9e6363_c.jpg
   ---            

photomadnz

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Andy
Ive tried many samples as I work in a pro shop, and they have all been average in the corners from a fair way out. If youve got an exeptional sample Id love to see how much better it really is!.... Cant tell much from the small samples provided above though. (1800 x 1200 px)
On another note, Ive been converting some more raws from the new 16-35mm 2.8 and its the best lens in this range Ive tried from any of the main manufacturers... :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom