1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 macro

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by quezra, Aug 30, 2016.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    ...also given a PR news cycle strategy, this lens is suitably underwhelming enough that there must be something more exciting to come at Photokina ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's a good price! Half the price of the 90mm. I wonder if it would be as sharp as the very sharp 90mm though ;)

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, it's also half the focal length and so logic dictates that it will be half as sharp :). Gee, another 50mm just now that I've got a 1.8/50. Anyway, it'll take some time before used ones of this macro 50mm will turn up; if it focusses twice as fast as the 1.8/50 (and that doesn't raise the bar too high :rolleyes-20:) and the performance at f/2.8 is OK, I might be game (again).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I'm pretty sure that the FE90 macro will remain my product shooting workhorse. But a normal length macro is important to me as well so I will almost for sure be getting this (then finally relegating my dad's old Micro-Nikkor 55mm to permanent retirement...)

I hope it performs well at distance - a lot of legacy macros, particularly around 50mm, seemed unsatisfactory for landscapes. If this new lens could cover that duty and of course close-ups at the slightly shorter 50mm length I prefer, I could take it out on the road trips and leave the 55mm at home!

6. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    If you're into macro, i wouldn't be too excited. Working distance will be quite restricting for spooky subjects.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Just to clarify: I won't be buying it either - I prefer "double duty" lenses (not only cause I'm poor :D ) so the FE 90mm 2.8 macro seems more logical TO ME. Even if its double the price and weight/size.
    Also its a bummer cause I just bought a Zeiss 55mm so I can't afford another 50mm lens...

Nevertheless, I always say more lenses announcements the better-its good to see the E mount lens line up expanding ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    No in-lens SteadyShot either.

Hey Sony, I ALSO have an A6300 in my work bag. Just sayin'

BUT... if you're announcing the new A6400 in September WITH 5-axis IBIS? Well then never mind...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    I doubt a macro with such a long focus throw will AF "quickly". The focus limiters will help I suppose.

Anyway, I hope this means the rumor about a 60mm Batis macro is now dead - and that we get a 40mm Batis (or 45mm if they insist).

10. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    One lens this thing has definitely killed is the Zeiss Touit 50mm macro for APS-C. I can't see any reason to buy that lens now (except for some fanatic Zeiss collector). But really, three 50s in three months is a little bit much even for Sony :p

11. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I will be curious to see how the manual focus is implemented. The FE90 has become my all time favorite lens to focus manually (beating out my vintage Nikkor & Leitz optics) while every other FE lens with the freely rotating focus by wire is my least favorite. Alas, this 50mm looks like it's going to be the latter. But perhaps the combination of available AF and the variable MF "throw" might make it less frustrating for general use than most legacy macros have been IME.

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I dare not hope for it – but I would be in 7th heaven with a Batis 1.4/40, even if that would probably cost € 2000. For most of my photographic life I've been trying to get along with the 35mm focal length because everyone says it's so great, but to no avail: it's so wide that it gives too much foreground and not wide enough to serve as a real wide-angle lens. Sound frustrated? That's because I am :). To stay a bit on-topic at least, I have to say that I got used to the fixed 50mm focal length within a few hours again after getting a used FE 1.8/50 and that this announced macro 50 could be nice as a walk-around lens with the added option of close-ups without close-up lenses or extension rings.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    So a question from the cheap seats out west here.
    Would this suffice as an 'only' native lens for my a7ii?
    I'm not sure about it not having an aperture ring.
    How do you get to be 'creative' if you don't have one of those?
    I'm thinking this 'might' be the lens to get if I can only get one native lens.

Would you be able to live with it as your 'only' native lens? (Hypothetical question for all the legacy lens shooters out there)

14. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm pretty well trained now to use the front dial to control aperture. (Became kind of necessary, since my native lens collection is growing and my list of frequently-used legacy lenses keeps shrinking.) I feel as "creative" as ever, stopping down the lens that way.
    This 50mm does have the potential to be a good only lens to be heading out the door with - good one to pick if you must pick only one. (OTOH each of my other selections carries its weight quite well.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Not having any native lenses I'm not familiar with changing the aperture via the front dial. Guess this old dog would have to learn something new, again.
    I may have to let the Nex-7 go at long last as I'd really like to sample the a7ii with a self focusing native lens.
    Thanks Jeff, appreciate your comments.

16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just checked a major Dutch webshop: € 599 for the FE 2.8/50 macro :eek:. Will wait for online image samples and if that checks out, I'll pick up a used one. There will be enough people disappointed by the extremely close working distances :).

17. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    I see there is a f/w update for the 50/1.8 that improves focus speed...

18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Meh... just installed it. If you didn't know, you might not know, you know?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Also installed it, I think it's an improvement, see my findings.

• Like Like x 1
  20. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The FE Macro 2.8/50 is already said to be in stock at one webshop in The Netherlands.