New Sigma APSC Zooms on the way?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by WestOkid, Dec 10, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Something along the lines of an APS-C 18-55 f/2.8 zoom would be very welcome, especially if it's anything like Sigma's existing E-mount lenses in terms of relative sharpness and price.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Agreed. The stock zooms leave much to be desired.

I will be keeping an eye on this.
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    So basically same FL and just an f/ stop faster...
    With the SEL 18-55 kit lens being to so cheap (especially in the used market), personally I found such a developent from Sigma not worthy or profitable IMO.
    I think more strategical planning from Sigma is needed. I'm not 100% sure (correct me if I'm wrong) but they made the 19mm, 30mm and 60mm to fill a (or at least an affortable gap) gap (before the SEL 20, SEL 35, SEL 50, Zeiss 32 - expensive- were developed) and that made sense.

Personally, I would not be interested in buying such a lens but third party lens developement for e-mount is always welcomed :thumbup:
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Its actually 2 stops faster at 55. At 10 feet that cuts dof in half giving the potential for a decent portrait with isolation. Also on the wide end 2.8 now opens up things like astrophotography. Plus 2.8 means decent indoor ability across the board. This is the proverbial "bag of primes”.
    Now as for Sigma's strategy... Yes this is long overdue and may prove to be too late. However, l truly believe Sony is done with APSC lens development. Not everyone can afford Sony's FE line or wants to buy manual. Even so, not even the FE line has a constant 2.8. Sigma may see this as an opportunity to be the only kid in the game.
    • Like Like x 2