New Sigma adapter MC-11

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by bdbits, Feb 23, 2016.

1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    In the first paragraph it says "for Sony E-mount, full frame and APS-C sensor cameras." and also the table shows APS-C cameras and lenses so I think you could have some joy after all; when the adapter will actually become available, that is.

They're talking about Sigma lenses in Canon EOS mount (EF and/or EF-S I guess), they're not talking about Canon lenses. Open question of course is how the Canon lenses will perform with the Sigma adapter.
  3. MrQ

MrQ TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    Really curious about AF speed on the A6000

Also they mention the adapter will support IBIS, but what about lens based IS? They mention the 17-70mm OS. It will be nice if you can get fast AF and lens based IS with the 17-70mm on A6000.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    The original link I had posted only mentioned "FE mount" which I took to mean only full frame. I should have read the press release before linking/commenting.

I have seen speculation about what it might or might not do for non-Sigma Canon lenses, or if it even works at all, and how much native Sony functionality will be available. Some think it appears to be emulating the LEAx adapters. Of course no one knows for sure at this point.

B&H is taking pre-orders with availability listed as "beginning of April".
  5. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Sigma lenses for EF emulate Canon. If emulation works, original algorithm must work as well.
  6. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Unless there is a sigma lens firmware update that allows sigma lenses and the adapter to talk more natively???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Sympa

Sympa TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    Actually, the adapter can be adjusted for teh characteristics of each lens. This is why not all lenses work equally well on the current adapters.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. stripedrex

stripedrex TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    CAF tracking and eye detect af are 2 things missing for me with existing adaptors.
  9. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I doubt it will work well with Canon lenses, if at all. Watching the video Sigma put out it appears the adapter doesn't "translate" the protocols like every other adapter but rather overrides the Sigma lens's firmware and (temporarily) gives the lens a new native e-mount firmware. Which is very, very cool but severely limits compatibility because it will only work on latest gen Sigma lenses that have the digital tech to support this kind of temporary update.
  10. stripedrex

stripedrex TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    I just hope they add the sigma ex line. I would love a "native" 2.8 zoom pair alternative to the gmasters.
    • Like Like x 1